No announcement yet.

Wells Fargo froze my account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WF will freeze the account even if you don't owe them a cent. They will freeze any account you are on. Taking the money out might be a good approach.
    7-2-2009 Filed
    8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
    10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

I started this thread a few months back, and thought I'd report that I received my discharge today. My Chapter 7 Bankruptcy was final on March 9, 2010.

The only snags were Wells Fargo freezing my checking account, then freezing my Mother-in-Law's account (that my wife signs on to help her pay bills). We did have to appear last month on our reaffirmation agreement on my vehicle, which was approved.

We originally filed on November 4, 2009, so from start to finish it was a few days over four months.

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for the help and support I received here during this process. We have never filed bankruptcy before, and it was all very mysterious to us starting out. This forum helped us remove a lot of that mystery. I just wish I found it before things started to go off the tracks, because I could have avoided the stress of having the checking account shut down at the start of a holiday weekend.

Thanks again, and I will continue to monitor this forum to see if there is anything I can do to help and encourage others who are just starting the process.

-Joseph

Comment

Congratulations on the discharge!!
        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
        Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
        Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

God bless you and your family, Joseph!

Comment

I have my checking with WF and am going to be filing next week. Is it confirmed that they will only freeze what is in there the day they are notified? If so there won't be much for them to freeze of mine, and if I can continue to use my account as normal with my future deposits I'll be fine.
            Retained Attorney: 2/24/10
            Filed: 4/1/2010
            341 Meeting: 5/24/2010
            Discharged! 8/5/10

Comment

same thing just happened to me!
              Filed thursday...checked my account Friday....all is well. Checked Saturday....it's ALL GONE! Even the 150.00 in the savings account (so much for the 5000 limit.)
              From what I have read, Wells was sued in June, 2010, and apparently was told they cannot do this. But, they do it anyway.
              They dont make the funds available to the trustee, they dont do anything with it. just sit on it.
              My take is that they are looking around to see if they are owed ANYTHING by us, and then want to take it.
              I work on home loan modifications...and Wells if THE WORST BANK OUT THERE! I should have known this would happen, and am kicking myself for not moving my money.
              Good luck to both of us.
              I have seen a lot of posts how this is basically illegal, and against BAP policy....some good that is!

Comment

Originally posted by fleeteric View Post
                I have seen a lot of posts how this is basically illegal, and against BAP policy....some good that is!
                Wells Fargo doesn't think it is illegal or they wouldn't continue to have this policy. And they are appealing the BAP ruling. In other federal court districts in the US, the courts have ruled that WF is within their rights to freeze BK accounts. WF operates throughout the country and figures if it's legal everywhere but the 9th district, it's still legal and that they have a good chance of getting the BAP ruling overturned in their favor in the 9th.
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

So Wells is saying that now, after they have frozen all your money....you can come and go in the accounts as if nothing ever happened?
                  Unbelievable!
                  Check with the ruling against Wells from June of this year...there is a well-documented case about this. The filer didn't even disclose the account on the original filing (later amended to include it) Wells froze 17K...and they sued...and won, on appeal, Wells got a handslap.

Debtor counsel requested that the bank unfreeze the accounts. The bank refused without the trustee’s permission. Debtors responded that the bank’s actions violated the automatic stay. The bank disagreed so debtors filed a motion for damages based on the bank’s willful violation of the automatic stay. The bankruptcy court denied the motion. Debtors appealed. The court of appeals reversed saying Wells Fargo violated the automatic stay.

Comment

Originally posted by fleeteric View Post
                    So Wells is saying that now, after they have frozen all your money....you can come and go in the accounts as if nothing ever happened?
                    Unbelievable!
                    Check with the ruling against Wells from June of this year...there is a well-documented case about this. The filer didn't even disclose the account on the original filing (later amended to include it) Wells froze 17K...and they sued...and won, on appeal, Wells got a handslap.

Debtor counsel requested that the bank unfreeze the accounts. The bank refused without the trustee’s permission. Debtors responded that the bank’s actions violated the automatic stay. The bank disagreed so debtors filed a motion for damages based on the bank’s willful violation of the automatic stay. The bankruptcy court denied the motion. Debtors appealed. The court of appeals reversed saying Wells Fargo violated the automatic stay.
                    The BAP reversed, but it has been appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and there has been no decision. Nor is it clear WF released the funds unless the Trustee ordered them to do so. It was the Trustee who refused to release the funds, by not replying to the debtors request to do so. I expect the Trustee was not happy about the initial non-disclosure of funds.

I don't have to read the Mwangi v. Wells Fargo Bank again, I've already done so twice a week ago. I also posting in that thread - so you might check my posts on why WF is appealing, based on other district court rulings, and what their options are now.

A court decision does not make it State Statute. And as long as the case is still in appeal, it will not help to sue WF again. The court would likely just set the case aside until the 9th circuit court of appeal rules.

I don't like the WF legal policy either, but I'm trying to explain why I think the WF legal team has made this decision. There's nothing you can do about it - WF is not going to change policy until there is consistent law across the country, which usually means taking it to the Supreme Court of the United States.
                    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Congratulations Joseph & everyone else whose BK has been discharged!

We are just starting this process & I joined this great Forum last week & have learned more in a week than I have in a life time.

This thread has virtually saved us before we file this week. We have put off filing until next week so that we can open upew bank accounts. We have 3 checking accounts at WF, a Mortage & a Loan. We are going to a small bank this afternoon to open up our accounts & then to WF later in the week to close out our checking accts. I have a direct deposit on Wed. & want to make sure it gets in there & then close the account.

Thank You so much! This BF and all of your knowledge is really saving the lives of people who are at their lowest points now. sammie
                      Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Update! We went and opened up new checking Accts. at a small FDIC Bank, this morning went to SS to give them the new Banking information. Waiting for my dh's check to go into the one at WF this week & then closing out the WF accounts. Bringing all the paper work & Attorney's fees tomorrow & Filing next week.

Thank you everyone.sammie
                        Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X