How will BK affect my job possiblities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will BK affect my job possiblities

I'm currently unemployed - which was the catalyst that has me seriously considering this. As I look for a job and should they run my credit, will this really affect my chances adversely? I'm 33, professional and still fairly young in my career and starting strive for management roles.

I have nobody to blame for this but myself. I've kept fighting and keeping current until the bitter end. I see myself as a more productive employee post BK as I won't have anxiety anymore. I wouldn't mind even pursing job opportunities helping people in my situation.

Mikey,

Roughly 60% of employers pull credit reports on their prospective employees. There are attempts in a dozen states already to outlaw employers from doing this. Several stories in the last 60-90 days appear on CNN, MSNBC and USATODAY related to this area. Also, many employers may not care about a BK as much as someone who is clearly in distress with high debt loads and thus, more likely to steal or commit fraud. Also remember that it is only after you get offered the job that they do a background check so use this to your advantage and be forthright... Be prepared to discuss any circumstances surrounding your BK once you are offered a job if the matter comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by BenzUp View Post
      Also remember that it is only after you get offered the job that they do a background check so use this to your advantage and be forthright... Be prepared to discuss any circumstances surrounding your BK once you are offered a job if the matter comes up.
      I didn't realize this. Do all employers wait until they decide to offer a job? What about if it is down to a few people? Jobs in my field are very competitive, so I have actually not applied for positions because they did credit checks. I don't want a potential employer to remember me as that person with judgments and collection agencies after her, especially if I am not hired but want to apply for something else down the line. Once I file, I will feel much more confident applying for jobs.

Comment

To the new posters above...please do a search on this forum because this subject is heavily discussed and there are several recent threads going into great detail. We ask all new posters that before they post on a subject, to do a thorough search on the matter. That is also mentioned in the forum rules.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X