We're finally filing, unless you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're finally filing, unless you know

of any other way to stop a wage garnishment. It's been a whole year of waiting, prepping, and reading a ton of legal documents. This board has been my best resource - so thank you all.

What kind of sucks is that I was all emotionally fine with this, except the garnishment is coming from my former HOA. Lien, suit, and 2 Fifas filed months after foreclosure. $4K debt out of almost a million. And the President of the HOA was my maid of honor. This garnishment is happening first because it's coming from a friend (who obviously knows more about us than the other creditors).
    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Originally posted by SweetGeorgia View Post
    This garnishment is happening first because it's coming from a friend (who obviously knows more about us than the other creditors).
    With friends like that, what's the point of enemies?
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

maybe there is another side to the story?

I kind of echo MSbk's sentiments - what sort of a friend is this?

On the other hand, perhaps because she does know more and is known to be a friend, she feels forced into acting because to leave it lie, she'd be open to ethics charges - if she didn't do this, would it appear to be some form of favoritism? I've seen in other threads that the HOA debt is still the responsiblity of the (former) homeowner, even after a forcelosure.

In any case, SweetGeorgia, it seems that you are ready to file and well prepared (as I hope to become) from your affiliation here in this forum. I hope that if your friendship with this woman was a good one, that after all your dust settles, the two of you can come to terms and be friends again. As we all in this forum can see, stuff and money comes and goes and when it's all over, the only thing we can take with us is our loves.

(Someone remind me of that sentiment when I'm fretting about all that I'm losing as this tsunami of change overtakes me!)
      Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

Have you tried talking to your friend to see if she can delay the garnishment? It's a waste of time and money for the HOA to go through the trouble if you are going to file quickly enough to put a stop to it. Maybe she can do you a favor and buy you some time, especially if it is in the HOA's best interests. On the other hand, it might be out her control as somebody other than the president may be responsible for collections.

As StartingOver points out, your friend has legal obligations as President. If one of those is to proceed with a garnishment of your wages, don't hold it against her. Keep the business separate from the friendship.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X