top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this is how credit card hell starts. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is how credit card hell starts. . .

To those of us who are currently living the wonderful life of credit card slavery hell, this is how (I think) it all begins. . .

My daughter had to buy a formal dress for a dance at the end of this month. (Before you all yell at me, my parents gave me a $50 bill to pay for her dress). So she went to the mall with a girlfriend today, and when she found the dress, I went to the mall to meet her and pay for it. The total for the dress, including tax, was $53.00. So I was holding the $50 bill in my hand, reaching it out to the sales lady, and this is how the conversation went (I'm sure you've all heard this before):

Sales Lady: "Will this be on your Macy's charge?"
    Me: "No thank you. I'll pay cash." (It was dead obvious, but I think she pretended not to notice the money I was practically shoving in her face).
    Sales Lady: "Do you have a Macy's charge account?"
    Me: "No, thank you."
    Sales Lady: "Would you like to open a Macy's charge account?"
    Sales Lady: " If you open a charge account today, you will save an additional 20%"
    Me: "No, thank you. I'll pay cash."
    Sales Lady: "Are you sure??"
    At this point I gave her "the look," hoping she would get the hint and cut it out already. She didn't.
    Sales Lady: "You would save about . . . "
    And now I cut her off. "For the last time - NO, THANK YOU."
    She looked at me like I had 3 heads growing out of my neck. I looked over at my daughter and her friend, and even they rolled their eyes. I wanted to tell this lady that credit cards are the very reason I have landed in financial hell, but I held my tongue. (well, that and my husband is on unemployment). I figured I would save it for my Forum friends.

I told my husband about it, and he told me he has an even better way of stopping them. He said when they start badgering him with their 20 questions, he starts with, "I didn' know you guys gave credit to ex-felons?" That usually makes them back off really fast. LOL!!
    Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Yeah, store employees really get pressured to up-sell, whether it's the extra-large soda, the extended warranty, or their store credit card.

I usually tell a white lie: "Yes I have a Macy's charge card" just so they'll ring up my sale.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Haha keepin, I always say I already have one too so they will leave me alone. Funny thing is that in most cases I do already have one, but it is now included in my bk filing. What would they think if I told them that?
      Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

I always say not at 24% interest, that's crazy! CC hell for me is also using a cc for those small little tabs like a newspaper, at the p.o., buying a bottle of pop, I never have cash, and a cc is so handy.

Comment

I would have demanded to speak with a manager and ask for the 20% card or no card. If the manager says no, create a seen, threaten to take your business else where and if they insist on not giving you the discount, WALK OUT! There are other stores with dresses.
          Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
          Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
            I would have demanded to speak with a manager and ask for the 20% card or no card. If the manager says no, create a seen, threaten to take your business else where and if they insist on not giving you the discount, WALK OUT! There are other stores with dresses.
            I like this approach. Although I'd probably suggest a 30% discount to the manager since they know they are going to get the cash up front, and then work my way from there - reminding them that there are no accounts receivable costs when they receive payment up front in cash from a customer.
            Filed: 6/30/2010
            341: 7/26/2010
            Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Ahem - she's with her daughter and anyone who has teenagers (mine's now 39 - but I DO remember!) knows they are mortified to be with you in the first place so she did the right thing at the time.

Comment

Several years ago at Christmas I was in line at Goodys to buy a sweater and I did plan to use a credit card. The clerk asked for my phone number and address, said it was required. I refused to give it to her because the credit card co. would pay Goodys and I would pay them and I had just seen a magazine article that stores would try it to get mailing list information (that was pre-email). When the clerk insisted, I asked for a manager and the manager confirmed that it was Goodys requirement. By that time the line was getting looong - it was Christmas after all. When the manager stood her ground and asked for the phone number and address - I handed them the sweater and told them I didn't want it that bad and walked out. Like DebtHater said upthread - there were other stores.

Comment

Those store credit cards will get you. Just another way for companies to separate people from their money. What I normally do is call their corporate office and ask to speak with Customer or Consumer Relations. I complain to them and they normally send me sort of coupon in the mail and don't add me to their mailing list.
                  Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
                  Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

Remember when ToysRUs would ask for your phone number, for their survey, they said. I always refused to give it. It may have been harmless, but I don't like being asked for info like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Okieblue View Post
                      Remember when ToysRUs would ask for your phone number, for their survey, they said. I always refused to give it. It may have been harmless, but I don't like being asked for info like that.
                      Yes, because it's absolutely NONE of their business! They want too much information on folks these days.

Comment

I hate these grocery stores that try to sell you on getting these cards every time you go into the store. Of course, to get the cards, you have to send them your name, address, phone number, and all that. Why do you need all that information to sell me a gallon of milk? I'll just do my grocery shopping at the local Walmart - their prices are cheaper anyway, and you don't have any of those silly cards to deal with (at least not here and not right now).
                        Filed: 6/30/2010
                        341: 7/26/2010
                        Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmom View Post
                          To those of us who are currently living the wonderful life of credit card slavery hell, this is how (I think) it all begins. . .

My daughter had to buy a formal dress for a dance at the end of this month. (Before you all yell at me, my parents gave me a $50 bill to pay for her dress). So she went to the mall with a girlfriend today, and when she found the dress, I went to the mall to meet her and pay for it. The total for the dress, including tax, was $53.00. So I was holding the $50 bill in my hand, reaching it out to the sales lady, and this is how the conversation went (I'm sure you've all heard this before):

Sales Lady: "Will this be on your Macy's charge?"
                          Me: "No thank you. I'll pay cash." (It was dead obvious, but I think she pretended not to notice the money I was practically shoving in her face).
                          Sales Lady: "Do you have a Macy's charge account?"
                          Sales Lady: "Would you like to open a Macy's charge account?"
                          Sales Lady: " If you open a charge account today, you will save an additional 20%"
                          Me: "No, thank you. I'll pay cash."
                          Sales Lady: "Are you sure??"
                          At this point I gave her "the look," hoping she would get the hint and cut it out already. She didn't.
                          Sales Lady: "You would save about . . . "
                          And now I cut her off. "For the last time - NO, THANK YOU."
                          She looked at me like I had 3 heads growing out of my neck. I looked over at my daughter and her friend, and even they rolled their eyes. I wanted to tell this lady that credit cards are the very reason I have landed in financial hell, but I held my tongue. (well, that and my husband is on unemployment). I figured I would save it for my Forum friends.

I told my husband about it, and he told me he has an even better way of stopping them. He said when they start badgering him with their 20 questions, he starts with, "I didn' know you guys gave credit to ex-felons?" That usually makes them back off really fast. LOL!!
                          Note that the check out person gets money or perks for the amount of credit cards that she is able to get customers to open. She is just doing her job and probably being watched/taped that she asks all those questions. As always, you did the best thing - just learn to say "No."

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

LOL! I love all of your responses. One of the worst stores I have found is Bath and Body Works. They want your email address and phone number and everything else. I always feel bad, no matter which store I'm in, when they start asking for my phone number. My response is "no thank you" - but it didn't start out because I didn't want mailers from them. It was because I didn't feel comfortable stating my phone number right there in front of God and everybody! How did I know there wasn't some stalker in line trying to get my info? Okay, maybe a little dramatic, but still! LOL
                            Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmom View Post
                              It was because I didn't feel comfortable stating my phone number right there in front of God and everybody! How did I know there wasn't some stalker in line trying to get my info? Okay, maybe a little dramatic, but still! LOL
                              LOL Clevelandmom - You don't want God to know your phone number??? What if he has to call to tell you something important?? Too funny!! :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X