top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$180/mo cable bill - no wonder so many folks are going BK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could do away with our cable, but I can not. To run the high speed internet in my area I have to have cable. So I do have a package deal of cable/telephone/high-speed internet for 140 a month. That is the average price in my area. I have to have the internet for school. It is just an expense I have learned to accept. I do call every 6 months and try to get the promotional deals. So far I have been able to lower my bill 3 times in the last 2 years.
    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

The only internet available in my area is $50/month.

Cable doesn't even exist here.

That said, I assure you I didn't file BK due to my high cost of internet.

Comment

main reason why i haven't got cable - waste of my time.
        kreditas, kreditai

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
          There is no reason to pay for cable TV if you live within 30 miles of an urban area. High speed Internet connections are more of a problem if you are really rural, but any city over 5,000 probably has ISP/DSL that offer some form of cheap high speed (enough to stream movies) connection.

As I've mentioned before, I pay $30/mo total for my high speed Internet, broadcast TV and telephone. Cable TV, other than the most basic in rural areas, should not be allowed as a claimable expense for BK.
          Not really a fair statement, IMO. We live in a metropolitan area, but there is absolutely NO competition. One cable company, one phone company, one internet company (all the same company - how convenient)...even one electric company. Talk about a monopoly! They also arrange it so that if you try to buy your services individually, you will pay much more than if you get them on a package deal. I tried to drop our landline phone and our cable, but guess what? The cost of our internet service would go up so much it was almost the same cost as having all 3 services!

Great for you that you are able to get your services so cheap, but not everyone has the same opportunity. Just one of the reasons the UST has flexibility in determining what is appropriate for each area.
          Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

After not having cable for 6 years we finally got it. Phone, high speed net & cable for $137 after taxes and fee's . Nice to have the cable channels again. Kids love the sprout and Nick jr. shows.

We had a HD antennae and got like 30 plus channels until recently, also had netflix. I wanted to experience cable again though. I started to miss it. It is only $40 more than the phone and internet package.

Comment

I miss cable for the sports but besides that the overpriced bill is for the birds!
              Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
              The rebuilding begins

Comment

Originally posted by Dee View Post
                Not really a fair statement, IMO. We live in a metropolitan area, but there is absolutely NO competition. One cable company, one phone company, one internet company (all the same company - how convenient)...even one electric company. Talk about a monopoly! They also arrange it so that if you try to buy your services individually, you will pay much more than if you get them on a package deal. I tried to drop our landline phone and our cable, but guess what? The cost of our internet service would go up so much it was almost the same cost as having all 3 services!
                What telephone company supplies your cable, phone and Internet, AT&T? We have Verizon (now Frontier) for telephone and Internet and Comcast for cable here. Comcast is too damn expensive. Verizon has FIOS (I am already wired for FIOS) that charges $100/mo for cable, high speed Internet, and telephone. If I wanted only FIOS Internet, it would cost $50/mo just for Internet. I told them to come back when they will give me FIOS high-speed Internet for $25/mo. I have no interest in cable TV, waste of my time.

My Frontier high-speed DSL costs $15/mo with a 1 year contract. They normally charge $32/mo if you don't negotiate a special deal with them, which they always have but never advertise. My basic landline telephone costs $15/mo. I do not have or need long distance and have the cheapest local zone calling plan they have. Again, they don't advertise their cheapest phone line plan, you have to ask.

I get 32 digital TV channels over the air with a simple antenna - way more TV than I have time to watch, and it's free. So, $30/mo total for TV, phone, and Internet. I'll bet in most metro areas you could get Internet and basic phone for $50/mo. Cable TV wasn't a necessity before there was cable TV, same as i-pods, smartphones, etc. Guess there is a new generation that just cannot live without the latest toys.
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
                  I wish I could do away with our cable, but I can not. To run the high speed internet in my area I have to have cable. So I do have a package deal of cable/telephone/high-speed internet for 140 a month. That is the average price in my area. I have to have the internet for school. It is just an expense I have learned to accept. I do call every 6 months and try to get the promotional deals. So far I have been able to lower my bill 3 times in the last 2 years.
                  You don't have to have cable tv. I have cable internet because it's my only option and I use OOMA for the phone.

Kill Your Television!

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
                    What telephone company supplies your cable, phone and Internet, AT&T? We have Verizon (now Frontier) for telephone and Internet and Comcast for cable here. Comcast is too damn expensive.
                    Comcast is the only thing available here for phone, cable and internet, and yes, it is too expensive! Verizon is rumored to be coming, but not yet. Dish is available for tv, but our landlord will not allow dishes to be mounted on the balconies, so not an option.
                    Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

we are paying $127 for our bundle. If hubby can not land a job soon that will have to go
                      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
                        An interesting article on how to negotiate down one's cable bill.

You're spent, literally. Holiday shopping has thoroughly ravaged your wallet and soul. That means it's time to rein in the discretionary expenses for the New Year. There's no better place to start than that grotesque $180 cable bill.

It says that some folks' bill is $180/mo? Geez, even when I had cable TV AND internet cable, my total bill was only about $60/mo. Of course, the internet is absolutely necessary , and I could see the benefit of basic cable (although sites like channelsurfing & justin.tv all but obviate the need these days ), but after that, how much TV past that can folks watch? Folks that want movies can get NetFlix for what, $20/mo?
                        I hate this. I pay about $96 a month for basic cable + Internet. I need the high speed internet, so I have no choice. And each year they jack up the rates, so it should go over $100 in the next couple months.

A pure monopoly. Just like my trash service, a monopoly that always raises rates. $43 for 3 months. I disconnected my home phone service about 5 years ago and just use cell phone with minimum monthly only. I would love to dump my phone as soon as a reliable provider comes in for half the price.

It amazes me that during a recession, people can continue to raise prices, while everyones income continues to drop.

Comment

Like someone else said, i highly doubt the reason anyone on here consider filing BK was for a high cable/internet bill....there are people on here with 190K+ in unsecured debt for 1 person! That means they are likely paying well over 2.5K a month in minimums.... the $100-130 a month to cut off cable and internet likely won't make much dent in that, so it's not such a big deal.

Yes some people have ridiculous packages with every sport event, movie, and reality tv show in the country playing 24/7, i would think that is a minute percent of those who actually file. Most people have reasonable packages for their area and household...just underwater with crazy high credit card interest rates, unemployment, and houses they can't afford or sell anytime soon.
                          Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                            You don't have to have cable tv. I have cable internet because it's my only option and I use OOMA for the phone.

Kill Your Television!

Logan
                            It is my only pleasure that is left now since I did my BK. I did away with everything else. i have not spent any extra money this year. Even Christmas I spent less than 50 dollars on all the gifts. I can say this though if my cable provider makes me mad again i am not opposed to cutting them off. Since we stay at home now we seem to get more use out of the TV. I am not sure my better half would like going without his cable. He works at home and is here all day long. I don't know if I could handle hearing the constant blabber of him not having his cable television.

Okay I am done with my rant for the evening.
                            Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

We are about to cancel our satellite. Its only 30/ a month, which i guess is pretty cheap but no reason to spend the money if not necessary. Like so many others, we have Netflix and high speed Internet and use that as our primary entertainment. We also have magic jack and paid for the 5-year plan so the phone costs are almost non-existent.

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas on how to lower my bundle bill with Cable/Internet/Phone? I am paying $127 a month for the bundle package. I really need to find a cheaper alternative. thanks
                                Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X