cars are paid for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars are paid for

I have two paid for cars and my understanding is, unless I actually have a car loan or lease I can not claim the exemption. Is it possible to take out a small loan against each car (help pay for the bk) and then qualify for the car exemption? What would need to be done and how would I go about it? How long would I need to wait on filing a bk after I take the loans out?

You are confusing "equity" in your vehicles with claiming an exemption for the vehicles. I'm not familiar with CA's exemptions, a bankruptcy attorney in CA can answer this at a consult.
    Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by joecitizen View Post
      I have two paid for cars and my understanding is, unless I actually have a car loan or lease I can not claim the exemption. Is it possible to take out a small loan against each car (help pay for the bk) and then qualify for the car exemption? What would need to be done and how would I go about it? How long would I need to wait on filing a bk after I take the loans out?
      I think you might be thinking about the vehicle ownership expense. You can't take the ownership expense if you don't have a payment, but not owing money on the car wouldn't keep it from being exempt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X