Closing bank accounts credit cards were paid from - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing bank accounts credit cards were paid from - question

Hello, I am new to the BK process and am learning a lot from this forum.

One of the things I have read is that you should close any bank account from which credit cards were paid.

I had my Capital One credit card payment and Capital One auto loan payment automatically taken from my checking account.

I just closed that checking account and will be discharging the Capital One credit card in the BK.

My question is, is my new bank account that I will be making my Capital One auto loan payment from in any danger since I am giving my new account information to Capital One (I am reaffirming).

Can Capital One take my bank information that I provide to them for the auto loan and somehow come after my funds for the credit card debt? Is my money as risk?

This is really more of an issue if you are facing a collections lawsuit, or if you have your bank account at a bank where you are also including them as a creditor in your BK filing.

Once you file BK, Capital One couldn't remove money from your account to satisfy the CC debt without having a big issue with the court. With that in mind if you want to be completely worry free, wait until your case is filed before giving them your new account number.

Actually, until the car is re-affirmed Capital One may not allow you to do automatic payments. Not sure on Cap, but most creditors cut you off from on-line and automatic transactions, and require you to pay the old fashioned way. It keeps them from being accused of violating the temporary stay.

In other words, you can send them money - but they can't ask you to send them money.

Comment

If you are really concerned (which I was), send money orders instead of a check - that way they won't know your bank. Or, search this site for prepaid debit cards which you could use. Lots pf info here!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have been wondering what to do about this. I'll keep my new bank acct number safe until after filing and send them money orders.

Comment

If you open new bank accounts where you don't owe money (as you said you would do), avoid Wells Fargo and Union Bank because they are known to place holds on deposit accounts until released by the bankruptcy trustee.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X