top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12-step plan to deal with collectors and keep your sanity!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dman View Post
    Full disclosure, that pretty much sums me up.

HOWEVER, only about half of what I wrote pertains to avoiding creditor calls. Also, it's pretty easy to combine the "Ostrich" method and your "Grow a Backbone" method. I even go into detail about how to handle any calls you make to them (i.e. call using a special GV number you set up just for creditors or from a payphone...but NOT from your real number, work number, friend's number, etc.). It's simple. Go through your call history once a week. Call each company once, tell them you still exist, confirm name/address/phone number, tell them your situation has not changed, and hang up (don't let them keep you on the phone). Don't say anything else (i.e., do NOT say "well yeah, I know I owe you money, but..."). If you really want to talk to them, I think that's the way to do it. No need to have the phone ringing off the hook, dozens of calls a day (or more), scared to answer the phone, stressed out of your mind, etc.

Do you think it is really necessary to call the debt collector from a pay phone when you are using your Google Voice number to call them?

I don't think so. I don't think they could get your real number from that call because it is actually Google Voice calling the debt collector, not your real phone.

Google Voice first calls you, then once you answer the phone, Google Voice dials the debt collector's phone number, so all they would see on their caller I.D. is the Google Voice number, not your real phone number.

So far, it has worked fine for me just using Google Voice to call them, using my cell phone, not a pay phone. They have not yet found my cell phone number using this method.

And yes, don't give them any other information, if you do choose to talk to them on the phone. They are experts at getting information out of debtors.
    Last edited by GoingDown; 11-21-2011, 10:21 AM.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
      Do you think it is really necessary to call the debt collector from a pay phone when you are using your Google Voice number to call them?

I don't think so. I don't think they could get your real number from that call because it is actually Google Voice calling the debt collector, not your real phone.

Google Voice first calls you, then once you answer the phone, Google Voice dials the debt collector's phone number, so all they would see on their caller I.D. is the Google Voice number, not your real phone number.

So far, it has worked fine for me just using Google Voice to call them, using my cell phone, not a pay phone. They have not yet found my cell phone number using this method.

And yes, don't give them any other information, if you do choose to talk to them on the phone. They are experts at getting information out of debtors.
      The point is simply to not directly call them from your phone, from your friend's phone, a work phone, etc. Calling from a payphone would be ok. As would calling them using your GV number (I'd recommend using the call-back feature in the call history; this will insure you don't accidentally call them from the wrong GV account).
      Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Yes, I agree with you on this.
        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Thank you for this very imformative forum & posts.

Because of all your great advice and information, we changed our bank accounts from Wells Fargo to a small bank in town. Closing our safe deposit box tomorrow. My husband went online to all of our credit card accounts & changed our phone numbers. We signed all of the papers this past week & file this coming Wed., Aug. 1st.

We were current on everything until last week, so I think we were ahead of them, at least up to this point.sammie
          Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Many thanks for this awesome thread! I thought I had most everything covered & then read your suggestion about removing authorized users on all (to be discharged) accounts... I don't know if I'd ever have thought of that.. I have one account my hubby is linked to and am thrilled that deleting him off that account will save some lates on his credit report!

I really appreciate the time and effort you took to type & post this!

Hopeful

Comment

Thank you!!! Just starting the process, will be getting google voice! By the way, what is a JBD?

Comment

This is an awesome post! I'm just starting this whole bk process and creditors are calling my work even after telling them I cannot receive personal calls at work! They've even called and left messages with minutes on the same day and lied that it wasn't hem when it clearly was the same person bc she left her name and number for call back. Since then I've filed a complaint with FTC Consumer Finance. Not sure what the outcome is but I had to do something. I wanted to move forward with the process however in Jan of this year I had a car accident and was injured and need surgery and currently have a personal injury case that's unresolved. My attorney has advised me to hold off on bk until afterwards. I'm so afraid of having my wages garnished or account frozen especially from this bottom feeder loan company that harassing me. Has any had a unique issue such as this? TIA

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X