top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I hire an Attorney or File myself (Pro Se)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What percentage of Chapter 7s are approved???

QUOTE=robertg;379593]If you want a Chapter 7 then definitely don't do it yourself. Such a small percentage of Chapter 7's are approved that it really requires expert help.

Hope that helps!
    Robert G
    [Active advertising link removed. Against forum rules.][/QUOTE]
    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
    November 2010
    Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

IF you file pro se (which as a creditor paralegal I do NOT recommend)...please get a GOOD book (like by Nolo) on bankruptcy to walk through. I highly recommend an attorney particularly IF you have anything you need to reaffirm. This is NOT legal advice as I am not an attorney. This is just my personal opinion.

Comment

That would be so nice if I could afford it. The lawyer I went to for the consultation wanted a flat $2,000 plus the filing fees! He's an excellent lawyer (he even advertises on this forum!), but that price is just WAY out of my league. Besides, I have no property and nothing of value to protect.

I am currently reading the NOLO book and it is SO helpful.

Originally posted by paralegal View Post
        IF you file pro se (which as a creditor paralegal I do NOT recommend)...please get a GOOD book (like by Nolo) on bankruptcy to walk through. I highly recommend an attorney particularly IF you have anything you need to reaffirm. This is NOT legal advice as I am not an attorney. This is just my personal opinion.
        Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
        November 2010
        Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

The bankruptcy attorney should provide you with an attorneys fees based on the complexity of your case. There are a number of factors that attorneys use to evaluate how much they should charge your to complete your bankruptcy case. Although the experience of the attorney is important there are also additional factors that will determine what an attorney charges you.[removed URL] Most attorneys will also allow you to setup a monthly payment plan to file your bankruptcy case.
          Last edited by HHM; 04-19-2010, 04:44 AM.
          deleted by moderator

Comment

hi I am so broke, I am filling 7 myself without money, I am so afraid, I had a lawyer 2 yrs ago with 13 with the plan of 5yrs but no job no money, just last month the trustee dismiss. Now all the debt with foreclosure, taxes and credit are back and I have submmited to file on 7. Any advice?

Thank you

Comment

Can property tax be put on chapter 7 and what form is used for that, can someone please advice me?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Tuesday View Post
                Can property tax be put on chapter 7 and what form is used for that, can someone please advice me?

thank you
                Property tax attaches to the house, not the person. You would list all debt when filing Chapter 7. It would be listed in the same place as the secured debt would be, I think. Get a NOLO book, that will probably give you more useful info.

Comment

property tax for 7

Thank you for the Advice, I will check into Nolo

Comment

Definitely get the Nolo book. You can download it for $15. Just make sure you don't use a credit card!
                    4/14/2010 Filed Chp. 7 Pro Se :blink: 5/17/2010 341 Hearing :blush2: 5/17/2010 Trustee's Initial Report Filed :yahoo: 6/4/2010 Final Trustee Report of No Distribution :clapping: 8/2/2010 Reaffirmation Hearing (Approved) :clapping: 8/11/2010 Discharged!
                    I am not an attorney. You should not consider any of my statements to be legal advice.

Comment

[removed by Moderator]

Comment

I paid $1800 to my attorney upfront and then $2000 is included in the chapter 13 plan. I also had to pay an additional $250 for adding an additional creditor after filing. If more services past the 341 (which I recently just completed) are needed, then it is more. So far it has been worth every penny. Like some other people have posted, I would hate to have to go through this difficult process alone.

Comment

To file for bankruptcy i think you should hire a attorney because this is not to do yourself task. You need to have great knowledge about the bankruptcy chapter 11 and chapter 13.... i must hire dear.

Comment

I think it would be better to hire an attorney for your case because i think this is not to do yourself task. Chapter 11 and chapter 13 is the complected topics.

Comment

The answer to the question depends on a lot of variables. The complexity of the case, the state, the district and the particular individual. I came to a "compromise" answer for myself. I hired a bankruptcy "mill". $900 + filing fee. This forum and a lot of reading gave me enough info to be able to know something about the process and I was not interested in a lot of hand holding -- but you do get what you pay for.

Comment

I think to hire attorney is the best solution to handle your case. Bankruptcy is not to do yourself task.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X