Another Question Regarding Allowable Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Question Regarding Allowable Expenses

Thanks, everyone, for putting up with my incessant questions. I swear, I use the search option, but sometimes, I need a more specific answer.

This one is about eating out.

Is eating out an allowable expense? We go out once a week, and usually spend $10-$15. It's just nice not to have to cook, sometimes.

And, if it is allowable, where, on Schedule J, would it be classified? Food? Or Other?

I seem to recall someone on here pointing out that, despite being bankrupt, we are allowed to have a life, but, I envision the trustee being a hard, uncompromising person. "Since you can't afford to pay your credit cards, there's to be no eating out, no going to see movies, no taking your kids to the zoo, no Pumpkin Spice Latte, no Christmas..."
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

The trustee is not that hard core, I swear. It didn't even come up for us. The last thing the trustee will nail you on is food. In my experience, they're more concerned with what brought you to this point, and why you don't have the money to get out of it. A $10 dinner at Panda Express really is a non-issue. PM me if you need a little hand-holding. BK is scary, but I promise, the negative effects haven't effected us nearly as adversely as I thought they would.

Comment

I believe eating out is to be covered by your food budget or "recreation." There is no separate line item for "eating out."
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I was so surprised last year. After I decided to file, my attorney asked me what I spent for cable, internet and my cell phone. I couldn't believe I'd still be allowed something of a life.

Comment

The creditors take you as you were when they decided to lend money to you. If you have a pool, you are allowed pool maintenance. If you have cable, you are allowed cable. If you have an iPhone, you are allowed your data plan. Just because you file doesn't mean you need to stop living. Within reason.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X