1098 Amount Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098 Amount Question

I just got my 1098 from my mortgage lender. The amount stated on it for the total interest paid for 2011 ($17919) is more than my total mortgage payments for the year. My monthly payment is $1203, $941 principle and interest + $262 escrow. Thats a total of appx $12k. I called to ask about the amount. While I was on hold I realized that I've been paying them another $1500 towards my arrears under my Chapter 13. Is this why the interest paid for the year 2011 is so high? I got someone from the tax dept of my lender but they couldn't answer that for me. They said all they could do was start a work order to dispute the amount. I told them not to do anything until I get back to them. Has anyone else had this same experience? I hate the fact that I'm so paranoid about my lender. They have been so shady towards me, I don't trust anything they do. My online account access with them has been blocked since I started my Ch13. They said its because I'm in bankruptcy and my online account can be considered soliciting me for payments. Sorry for the rant, lol.

It is sounds like the 1098 includes the interest being paid by the Chap 13 trustee. Even though the trustee is sending the payment on your behalf, you are still entitled to the interest deduction. Check 13datacenter.com or 13network.com, whichever your trustee uses, to see how much interest the trustee has paid. Or, if you received an annual statement from the trustee, it should be on there.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I checked 13datacenter.com. It shows my normal monthly payments, $1200, being made and also secured arrears being payed. Not quite $1500 a month but around $1200 every month. So what you are saying is starting to make sense. I'm benefiting tax-wise from the payments I'm making on my arrears. When I saw that amount on my 1098, I automatically assumed my mortgage lender messed up again. I guess that is not the case. Thanks for your response, Lady.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X