top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK Forum - The True Measure of our Economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK Forum - The True Measure of our Economy?

Interesting.....................

It sure seems as though, overall, things must be improving in our economy.... It seems like I see less and less "OMG my 341 is tomorrow" or "Will my creditors show up". Could this board be the real "State of the Union" for the financially disabled or those recovering from disasters that plagued so many in the recent past?

I'm not one for basing my impression on Wall Street or the governments numbers....hell I can make the numbers read however you would like.......data is fact, but garbage in, garbage out! They say things are improving and based on what I see here....we must be in a recovery.

It seems as though more and more posts are "After the Discharge"....not sure the "data" but I would be interested in seeing the numbers our moderators could come up with. Compared to years past, where are people posting and reading?

It could be interesting.......

I am still seeing friends lose jobs.
    Every day we see new posters here. There will be a fresh round of "OMG my 341 is tomorrow" lol
    I personally don't think things are any better.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Bummer...I was thinking it was starting to seem better around here.

Comment

hard to tell really. certain parts of the country are still in really hard times, like here in florida.

maybe bk's filings may be slowing, but the aftermath is even more difficult for many to deal with. the recovery period takes years. for many of us on this forum, we are like family, helping each other both on the front lines and behind the scenes. for me, personally, i have developed incredible, strong and wonderful relationships with so many here. that will be a lifetime gift, i do believe whether people still continue to file at the rate they did 2 years ago or not.

it's just as difficult really getting back on one's feet as going through the process of filing. that use to not be the case. someone would file wake up and start new, but for many of us who have lost our homes, our "secure long time jobs", everyday is a challenge of some sort. that's why this forum is so important and long or everlasting for many of us.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Here's how I try to predict things.

Lurk on various credit boards, you'll start to see the signs of an impending collapse. I was able to predict (but only told myself and my wife) about the mortgage crisis...but what did I do? Hurried up and bought a house before we would no longer qualify. Doh!

Then lurk on boards related to various professions. When those people are a bit happier, have less issues finding a job, better benefits, etc., then we're in a recovery. We went through one semi-recovery so far, then it flat-lined for a bit. IF ANYTHING it appears we're on a slight uptick at the moment. Nothing to get too excited about.

Oh, and there could be multiple reasons why there aren't as many people posting about their new bk filing. Once you've been granted a discharge, you have to wait X years before filing again. It's possible a lot of people filed a bit back, need to file again, but can't (or perhaps they filed a 7, are eligible for a 13 but trying to wait it out to be eligible for a straight 7 again). Kinda like how eventually the unemployment numbers will get better, because they stop counting the people who have given up all hope of finding a job.
          Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Some BK Forum Statistics:

In January 2011, 773 new members joined
            In January 2012, there were 215 new members

In the year 2010, there were 10,182 new members, in 2011 there were 4031.

It isn't always obvious what I am able to access only because I'm a moderator. But, it is possible that anybody can look up statics on members by doing an advanced member search at http://www.bkforum.com/memberlist.php?do=search
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Well here in FL I don't see anything going up but prices. Oh yes, the amount of empty houses and for sale signs. Perhaps the new member stats may even be wrong. If you are so broke and don't have a house, maybe not even a computer to join the bk forum? I have noted many new names here but have not searched stats. I can see obvious problems every time I ride into town. Stores smaller inventory, many going under. I personally see no improvement as our fuel and food prices rise.

I wonder if stats can be pulled from PACER. That would be a better clue to what is going on. Your broadcast news of course is being manufactured and may no be factual. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                Well here in FL I don't see anything going up but prices. Oh yes, the amount of empty houses and for sale signs. Perhaps the new member stats may even be wrong. If you are so broke and don't have a house, maybe not even a computer to join the bk forum? I have noted many new names here but have not searched stats. I can see obvious problems every time I ride into town. Stores smaller inventory, many going under. I personally see no improvement as our fuel and food prices rise.

I wonder if stats can be pulled from PACER. That would be a better clue to what is going on. Your broadcast news of course is being manufactured and may no be factual. 'Hub
                I was shocked to drive to an area of our adjoining town which just last year was filled with restaurants and other small stores. That entire section of a small strip mall was now vacant, except for a veterinarian business and a nail salon business. 8 to 10 others were gone. That right there to me shows no improvement. However, the big box stores like wal-mart are booming and Amazon.com is going crazy - due to having larger volume and lower prices. No one is really spending - many of the ads tossed at us try to make us think otherwise so we will spend....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Hub, you can look at bankruptcy stats at the ABI's website, here: http://www.abiworld.org/AM/Template....ontentID=36294

Florida's total filings by year are:

2007 41,462
                  2008 67,649
                  2009 97,087
                  2010 113,066
                  2011 94,815

Does the 2011 drop mean the corner has been turned or is it a statistical blip? Your opinion is as good as anyone else's.
                  Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by dman View Post
                    Here's how I try to predict things.

Lurk on various credit boards, you'll start to see the signs of an impending collapse. I was able to predict (but only told myself and my wife) about the mortgage crisis...but what did I do? Hurried up and bought a house before we would no longer qualify. Doh!

Anytime you see the government stepping into an area to pay for things for people instead of the people paying for them themselves, you can predict that the prices will go up in that area. Medical care, college tuition and most recently, housing, are a few examples. Likewise, when the government stops paying for things in that area, the prices go down. If the government steps out quickly, as it did with housing, you get a collapse of prices.
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I don't see anything improving, I just paid $4 dollars a gallon for heating oil which is a first! I lived in the same area for 62 years, never have I seen so many home foreclosures, not to mention the theaters, strip malls and small businesses sitting empty. Restaurants also don't seem to be doing as well as folks seem to staying home or eating more fast food.

Prices are extremely high in the grocery stores just for basic food, not to mention fruits and veggies. Higher gas means higher transport cost. So I don't see anything improving anytime soon. Any "uptick" that might have been happening is about to tank!
                      Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                      341 5/23/11
                      DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Things may not be getting better but perhaps they are not getting worse, which could explain the decrease in filers/members. I am slowly seeing construction creep up. It seems that most everyone I know in that business has better prospects or are doing better than in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                          Anytime you see the government stepping into an area to pay for things for people instead of the people paying for them themselves, you can predict that the prices will go up in that area. Medical care, college tuition and most recently, housing, are a few examples. Likewise, when the government stops paying for things in that area, the prices go down. If the government steps out quickly, as it did with housing, you get a collapse of prices.
                          You are correct. Since my post on this thread, look what a day or two can hold for you. In our area fuel went up drastically. We have more to fear than our economic situation. I am warned not to mix my politics with posts, but, check out our militarily emergencies not being discussed. Our troops are being laid off, and can't find jobs saved for them, Iran about to get it's nuke and a Presbo not willing to act (perhaps he can talk our way out of WWIV). Once some sort of action occurs, the stock market will fall, the fuel will go crazy and food will go up. Face it, we are now a second rate Nation with no gonads. Sorry folks, I say it as I see it. 'Hub
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

So long as Obama and his never-ending vacationing wife are in the White House the economy will suck. We need adults in Washington.
                            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

You are correct. Since my post on this thread, look what a day or two can hold for you. In our area fuel went up drastically. We have more to fear than our economic situation. I am warned not to mix my politics with posts, but, check out our militarily emergencies not being discussed. Our troops are being laid off, and can't find jobs saved for them, Iran about to get it's nuke and a Presbo not willing to act (perhaps he can talk our way out of WWIV). Once some sort of action occurs, the stock market will fall, the fuel will go crazy and food will go up. Face it, we are now a second rate Nation with no gonads. Sorry folks, I say it as I see it. 'Hub
                              The middle east has been a problem for us for my whole life. It's always been that way and will always be that way no matter who the president is.
                              Logan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X