top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bartering BK attorney's fee- would you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartering BK attorney's fee- would you do it?

So after meeting with 3 other attorneys, I found one who was really helpful, who I trusted could help us, and I was willing to (somehow) figure out how to pay his fee. My husband is a tile contractor and often barters things, so I jokingly said "need any tile work done?" He was like "Actually, I really do! My wife has been begging me to have our kitchen floor tiled for years" And went on to discuss how it would work, that the work would have to be performed prior to filing, and would be listed as such on the paperwork. He said he has bartered for things like 4-wheelers, etc. in the past and that the trustees usually shake their heads and laugh.

SO, do you think this is ok? I mean, not having to come up with several thousand is certainly attractive right now! My husband is going there today to see the scope of work.

Hey, if it works and the attorney has done this before, why not?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

While I personally do not subscribe to the barter system, the barter system works fine. Attny should disclose the transaction in his Rule 2016 statement filed with the Court.

Des.

Comment

That's a win/win. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
        Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Why not? Unless he has paying work that would not get done, its that same as the attorney paying him for the tile job, and then handing the money right back to file bankruptcy. You still need to figure the proper cost of the tile job, and make sure that it is close to the fee, or add a little cash on either side to even it out. I wouldn't nickle and dime the guy though, he sounds like he tries to help people.

Comment

I think it's brilliant.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X