Which attorney should I hire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which attorney should I hire?

I've talking to a couple of attorneys about filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I'm not sure who I'm going to retain yet.

One attorney said she could get my Chapter 13 monthly payments down to about $200 or $300 a month.

The other attorney said that my payments would most likely be $500 or more.

Should I trust the more conservative attorney or the one with the better numbers?

Any advice on whom to choose?

Thank you!

To evaluate their advice, you need to understand how each attorney arrived at the payment amount. What is the difference in their calculations? Did they calculate your income differently or use different expenses?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I went to two lawyers. One told me I would be in a chapter 13 with a high payment. The other told me I could possibly make a 7. Guess which one I went with?

Still, like LITR said, you need to figure out what they are doing differently. Is the $200 payment lawyer just giving you pie in the sky numbers so you'll retain him? Or is the $500 payment lawyer being lazy?

You should also google the attorneys and see if there are any reviews on them. Maybe the $200 payment lawyer has a history of overpromising and underdelivering.
      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

I would probably consult with 2 or 3 more attorneys, before making a choice.

Comment

After seeing your other thread, I wonder if the attorney estimating the lower payment is taking your possible move into account and the other is not.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by TXskyblue View Post
            I went to two lawyers. One told me I would be in a chapter 13 with a high payment. The other told me I could possibly make a 7. Guess which one I went with?
            Thank you for your reply!

Were you successful in filing chapter 7 and getting all of your debt discharged?

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              After seeing your other thread, I wonder if the attorney estimating the lower payment is taking your possible move into account and the other is not.
              No, they are not. I didn't give either of them an estimate of my rent, so they both used my current rent expense.

I'm not sure why the numbers are different. I'm going to have a meeting with the first lawyer again to understand her calculations.

I'm also planning on talking to a 3rd attorney.

Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Wunsche View Post
                Thank you for your reply!

Were you successful in filing chapter 7 and getting all of your debt discharged?
                I just realized that you had added the following comment to your signature: "Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement."

What does "UST involvement" mean?

Just curious - did you ever go back to the first attorney (the one who recommended chapter 13) and let him/her know that you were able to file chapter 7?

Comment

UST = United States Trustee.

A chapter 7 has two trustees. One is the trustee you will meet at the 341 hearing. Then there's the UST you likely won't meet. They're the ones who review cases for abuse and file objections to discharge. I put that in my sig because I was worried the UST would force me into a chapter 13 for being over median.

I'm not 100% sure how the trustee situation is in a chapter 13. A lot of things that apply to a 7 do not apply to a 13 and vice versa.
                  Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Thank you for letting me know!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X