Can't get homeowner's insurance after BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get homeowner's insurance after BK

I'm an idiot. I let my HO insurance lapse - I didn't have the money to pay. Went to pay when I got my check, and apparently I was too late. They cancelled me.

Now, I can't get coverage anywhere due to my poor credit.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Success is not so much measured by what one has attained in life but rather by what one has overcome while trying to succeed - Booker T. Washington

sorry can't help put I got home owners insurance after BK.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Maybe you could try equote or einsurance where you fill out an online form and get several insurance companies to give you a quote. I would think there would be someone out there willing to provide coverage.

Comment

Won't the mortgage holder force place insurance on the property?

Car lien holders do that all the time.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          Won't the mortgage holder force place insurance on the property?

Car lien holders do that all the time.
          super expensive and typically does not cover your belongings... not a good idea
          BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

It's stories like that which make me want to continue renting apartments for as long as I'm in Florida. Geez! If I'm ever a homeowner, I really don't think I should become one in Florida.
              Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
              341 Meeting: 1/22/09
              Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

Wow 'Cat! If it's not one thing.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Florida is the absolute pits when it comes to Homeowner's insurance. Expensive and hard to even find a company that will insure. Then, when you find insurance, there is a disclosure about limited coverage for hurricanes!

Trying to convince a lender that you don't need flood insurance because you are not in the flood plain is even worse.

Off subject, but homeowner's association fees are a rip off in Florida also. I can't tell you how many times our association changes the flowers in the community to match the season. What the hell? They rip out perfectly good flowers because they are the wrong seasonal color.

I hear ya Cat.

Comment

And, I should have added, that one of the insurance companies considering us during the 3 and 1/2 hour bout, actually wanted to know what caused our Bankruptcy, and all the details???!!!

So we are back to Square 1. I will be going back tomorrow to see what may happen.....

Comment

Cat, is there a mortgage on the property and do you have a lot of personal belongings that you need to insure?

If no to both, just go with a fire policy as they are easier to get. If you have expensive jewelery, etc., just get a separate policy.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
                        Cat, is there a mortgage on the property and do you have a lot of personal belongings that you need to insure?

If no to both, just go with a fire policy as they are easier to get. If you have expensive jewelery, etc., just get a separate policy.
                        Hi Florida Friend: No, it is a simple homeowner's and/ or fire policy. The property is debt free and we own a life-estate to a state agency. The insurance that just turned us down for lack of square feet is a 'Dwelling Policy', i.e. Fire insurance.

That is all we need to satisfy the requirements of the life-estate.

Thanks

PS: I have asked the Administrator to create a new Board that will deal with strictly insurance-both home and health and bankruptcy issues. I think it is needed and I hope it happens.

Thanks to All

Comment

My apartment complex mandates renter's insurance. I hear that it either recently became a law to require it, or is about to become a law. In any event, I added it onto my car insurance policy, with State Farm. I've been with SF since I was 18, and I'm 32 now. But, in light of recent events with SF pulling out of FL for property insurance, I'm eventually going to have to find someone else to cover me.

I love SF; they've been nothing but good to me -- they put up with my terrible driving abilities that I didn't improve upon until I was about 23. The lady in the office is awesome. I joke that SF is my longest-running adult relationship. However, I don't think it's fair that companies want to offer auto insurance in FL, but won't also take the risk of property insurance. It's like trying to have your cake and eat it, too. Makes me seriously consider switching all of my policies once the time comes. Guess it depends on how badly a new company would hold my BK against me when quoting rates.

Comment

Originally posted by freshstartfl View Post
                            My apartment complex mandates renter's insurance. I hear that it either recently became a law to require it, or is about to become a law. In any event, I added it onto my car insurance policy, with State Farm. I've been with SF since I was 18, and I'm 32 now. But, in light of recent events with SF pulling out of FL for property insurance, I'm eventually going to have to find someone else to cover me.

I love SF; they've been nothing but good to me -- they put up with my terrible driving abilities that I didn't improve upon until I was about 23. The lady in the office is awesome. I joke that SF is my longest-running adult relationship. However, I don't think it's fair that companies want to offer auto insurance in FL, but won't also take the risk of property insurance. It's like trying to have your cake and eat it, too. Makes me seriously consider switching all of my policies once the time comes. Guess it depends on how badly a new company would hold my BK against me when quoting rates.

OMG, I feel for you. I don't know how to tell you this, but if you have not been reading the papers--that they are of any use--for the last two or three weeks, State Farm is pulling out of Florida. Same excuse--the 2004/2005 hurricanes.

My local insurance agency told me that up til two weeks ago, their office was dead. He did not know how he was going to keep his two clerks employed.

Then State Farm announced they were leaving Florida, and he and his two clerks can't keep up with the business.

Weird, ain't it?

Comment

Yeah, I knew SF was pulling out. I thought it was still in the "approval" stage tho, and not for certain. Makes me mad... why should I let them insure my auto if they won't be here for me when I need renter's or homeowners?!

I signed onto my credit union account today, and there was an advertisement that said something like, "Is your 'good neighbor' leaving you? Check out our insurance partners!" or something like that. Made me chuckle. Good neigbor, indeed... sing along with me now.. 'Like a good neighbor, State Farm hauls @ss...."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X