Homeowner's Insurance and Property Taxes on home IIB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeowner's Insurance and Property Taxes on home IIB

I've searched but can't find definitive answers on these issues in old threads. Our home is being surrendered through BK and the foreclosure process is beginning.

1) Is it really necessary to keep up the homeowner's insurance (i.e., if someone walks onto our property, trips over a sprinkler head and breaks their neck in a fall can we be sued if we don't have it)?

2) We stopped paying on the house in March, it likely won't be sold at auction until next spring/summer. The 2007 property tax bill was paid by the lender out of escrow this spring. Are we responsible for this year's (2008) property taxes next spring?

If anyone has links to articles/references on either of these topics they would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. We're already discharged... therein lies the concern. I can't seem to find anything that explicitly states that we are not liable for personal injury sustained on our property while it's in foreclosure, so I think we'll keep up the insurance just in case. I can just see someone breaking into our vacant house, severing an artery on the broken window and suing us. Now that we're not drowning in our monthly payments, it's actually possible that we could have a savings account a year from now (an asset I wouldn't want to lose).

Comment

I had the same question (and searching led me here). The only difference is I'm staying in the house until the end. I'll try BigBoy's suggestion and see if that works. My policy now is almost $100 a month.

Comment

Ours is even worse since the house is vacant... $240/mo. I think I'll try personal liability coverage only.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X