State Farm Didn't Incrase My Rates!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momof5 View Post
    I have state farm and I am in NY. They have raised my rates 2 times in the past month. (received 2 different bills with 2 different amounts showing updated rate)... They claim it wasnt do to credit profiling but that its 'just an increase' due to various reasons that all customers got.
    Thanks for the bad news, Mom. Man, that's quite a jump! I've been with State Farm for 24 years, too, and I've been trying to brace myself for bad news, since I saw an article over the weekend reporting that 48 insurance companies are asking the NY State Insurance Department for rate hikes averaging seven percent. Argh.
    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by momof5 View Post
      I have state farm and I am in NY. They have raised my rates 2 times in the past month. (received 2 different bills with 2 different amounts showing updated rate). $208 for 6 months and now its $281! Quite a jump.

They claim it wasnt do to credit profiling but that its 'just an increase' due to various reasons that all customers got.
      My Dad has State Farm and his rate is the same as it was a year ago so I know that is not true.

I have been with them for 20 years! 1 claim in all those years!

I should also add that the updated bill came about 2 weeks AFTER my discharge. I had already received a bill. The 2nd one said to disregard any previous bills.
      Momof5....does New York allow credit scoring/profiling? If it does allow it, there is not too much you can do. That is a big jump but it all depends on how much they raised their usual and customary annual rates for everyone in the area you reside. Secondly, if NY does not allow credit scoring/profiling, and you are not comfortable with the explanation they gave you and feel it may be due to your bankruptcy filing, call your Insurance Commissioner's office and advise them and have the matter investigated. If NY does not allow credit scoring/profiling, of course your insurance company is not going to tell you it is due to your credit scores but would get away with trying to say it was due to something else. If you feel the jump was too big for a usual annual increase and your state does not allow credit scoring/profiling, by all means have the matter investigated.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        Momof5....does New York allow credit scoring/profiling? If it does allow it, there is not too much you can do. That is a big jump but it all depends on how much they raised their usual and customary annual rates for everyone in the area you reside. Secondly, if NY does not allow credit scoring/profiling, and you are not comfortable with the explanation they gave you and feel it may be due to your bankruptcy filing, call your Insurance Commissioner's office and advise them and have the matter investigated. If NY does not allow credit scoring/profiling, of course your insurance company is not going to tell you it is due to your credit scores but would get away with trying to say it was due to something else. If you feel the jump was too big for a usual annual increase and your state does not allow credit scoring/profiling, by all means have the matter investigated.
        Hi, Flamingo, Mom -

I spent a ridiculous chunk of this morning first waiting on hold, then trying to find someone at the NY Insurance Commissioner's office who even knew what I was talking about. While I was waiting, I found a 6-year-old document online which seemed to indicate that NY only allows credit scoring/profiling when one is applying for a NEW policy. When the person came back on the line, I asked her about that, reading it directly from their web site, and she said she had absolutely no idea and couldn't find anybody who did. Very helpful. I couldn't spend any more time on it today, but I'll keep hunting.

You would think this would be a simple question to answer, wouldn't you?
        Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
        341 meeting: July 18, 2008
        last day for objections: September 16, 2008
        DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

My insurance wasn't stopped or increased. But I did have to start mailing in payments.
          Last edited by Cali; 09-23-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Below is a listing of each state's credit scoring laws as of November 2007.

(Note Michigan Court of Appeals has recently struck down insurance company credit scoring. The insurance companies will likely appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court before a final ruling.)

http://www.insure.com/articles/carin...ring-laws.html

The only state which completely disallows insurance credit scoring is Hawaii.
            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Thanks What Money, I live in VA and it looks like that's why I didn't have my rates increased.
              Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
              Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
              Discharged April 2012

Comment

I work in a State Farm agency. It will vary by state, but I can speak for State Farm in NC. Credit is not used in scoring for existing customers but is used for new business quotes. For new business, normally a bankruptcy will cause you to be in the highest rate plan if physical damage coverage is offered at all. For existing customers, your score will decline and rate increase for claims & loss history and poor driving record.

Comment

Thanks, so as long as I don't have any accidents, I'm good.

I hope everyone can join me in keeping their fingers crossed!!
                  Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
                  Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
                  Discharged April 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X