Car Insurance & Credit thru same company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance & Credit thru same company

Things got a little weird this month for me. My car insurance company did not send me a bill. When I went in to make my monthly payment I advised one of the ladies in the office that I hadn't received a bill for the month, and that I was concerned. When she pulled my account it showed billing had been suspended, and that I didn't owe anything. Upon hearing that ...I questioned it, as I have gone BK with the same company on their credit card. She advised it was just a stupid error on the corporate side, and that they would send me a new bill. I asked her if my going thru bankruptcy would be the reason for the suspended billing, and she said "no...it should'nt have any effect whatsoever".

This has me a little worried though. I remember my lawyer telling me about setoffs with banks I had credit cards thru, but nothing on the insurance end.

Do I need to start shopping for a new car insurance company?

Thanks as always for the kind advice!

I would not think you should have to find a new insurance company but I can not say for sure.
    Sometimes life make you deal with ugly and hateful people ,just think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you and rub you the wrong way but eventually you end up smooth and polished and the sand paper becomes old and worn out.

Comment

It might be best to look into other insurance options. You could try Progressive or GEICO etc. Remember without insurance in most states the government can seize your tags, sometimes without notifying you. Also I believe there is nothing illegal if the current provider decided not to continue your coverage due to the bankruptcy. (That or they'll just place a lien against your insurance payment in the future to collect their money....)
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I've been with Allstate for 20 years and this is the 2nd time I had filed Bk (once back in 1992 and just a recent one of 06) They haven't dropped me yet ! Only my rate just seems to be going up. But that may be to having a lead foot and/or I've been prone to accidents even they aren't my fault.

Best of Luck, CMIYC
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Insurance companies now ask your social security to pull a credit report on you. So just be prepared that your rate might be high. I recently switched insurances. And I was surprised with the paperwork that came, the documents specifically stated my rate was based on the underwriting score of 751.

This is weird because I have another source that says my score is 688. So go figure.

I'm not complaining though because the switch will save me $600 a year.

Try www.insurance.com

It'll give you a couple of different rates.

Good luck

Comment

same thing happened to me

I have state farm insurance, and they waived all my fees for a whole 6 months. Could be they are just trying to help you out like they did with us.

Comment

Update

Originally posted by sofarindebt View Post
              I have state farm insurance, and they waived all my fees for a whole 6 months. Could be they are just trying to help you out like they did with us.
              Sofarindebt....your comment made me feel a little better. State Farm is my insurance company. They have suspended my billing because I filed Chapter 7 on their credit card (believe me this was hard to do, and it was the one I felt the most awful about, because their interest rate was quite decent), but when you go BK you have to list all your creditors. In my case all 13 of them.

I spoke with one of the ladies in my agents office , and she assured me that I was still covered, and that it was only my monthly billing that had been suspended, but that I was still covered, and could switch back to the monthly billing once my premium/contract was due to be re-upped in November So no insurance payments until then. I asked her if I was going to be dropped, and she said no. I've been with this insurance company since my early 20's, (I'm almost 40) and have earned discounts, rebates, etc.
              What I pay them for auto insurance is less than 1/2 what other insurance companies have quoted me. My experience with them has been great....I just hope it stays that way.

Thanks to all who have posted the links for auto insurance...hopefully the situation will shake out.

Comment

Sounds like a good deal. Nice to see them trying to help you out in this tough time . Nice to see that some places do try to help you
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X