House robbed while in forclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House robbed while in forclosure

My house is in foreclosure and included in my chapter 7 which has been discharged. We have been living in the house and the bank has paid the home owners insurance.
    We left town for the holidays and I just found out that my house was robbed and the thieves used my truck to haul away everything. Unbelievable! My truck was recovered.

I will really be happy to see 2010 go away!

My question is will the home owners still cover the items that were stolen from the house?

sorry to hear about that!! unfortunately one of the draw backs of not paying and staying....

and for that matter if the insurance is paid by the bank and the house is still in YOUR name and no deed transfer i would call the insurance company and try putting in a claim.....after all...the insurance that is being paid by the bank is part of the foreclosure fees and costs that YOU are charged with and are including in the costs at the time of foreclosure....

might be worth a shot.....
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I'm sorry for what happened to you.

The bank's insurance protects them, but does nothing for you. They name themselves as loss payee for damages (like fire, flood, etc) that would impact the sale price of the home. They don't name you & they do not pay to insure your personal belongings or provide any personal liability coverage for you. I don't think there is anything you can do.
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
        I'm sorry for what happened to you.

The bank's insurance protects them, but does nothing for you. They name themselves as loss payee for damages (like fire, flood, etc) that would impact the sale price of the home. They don't name you & they do not pay to insure your personal belongings or provide any personal liability coverage for you. I don't think there is anything you can do.
        that's probably.........JUST probably right!!

it's usually difficult to ask, but it doesn't hurt...for all one knows since the banks are so inept maybe they just left the existing policy in effect...i know that wasn't the case with our house...the homeowners when under the banks umbrella foreclosure insurance...it would have been no help to us had we been there when or if something happened to our personal items while in foreclosure....

however, there was truck involved and if car insurance was maintained by OP on that...there could be a claim...
        Last edited by tobee43; 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It really depends on the homeowners policy that the OP has. Just because the mortgage company paid the policy doesn't mean its a lender-placed policy. What needs to happen is you need to find out if the policy that is on the home is the same policy that you had prior to foreclosure. If it is then its more than likely a standard homeowners policy that covers personal effects. P.s. Sorry to hear what happened I wish you luck in the new year
          Filed:11/2010
          341 Meeting:1/5/2011
          Discharge:3/2011

Comment

What a set of coglioni -- they robbed your stuff using your own truck.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Frankly, I doubt there's anything you can do about it insurance-wise. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, as long as you make the claims honestly (so you can't be accused of fraud). But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

-Rich
            Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
            Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

Originally posted by garyp15 View Post
              My house is in foreclosure and included in my chapter 7 which has been discharged. We have been living in the house and the bank has paid the home owners insurance.
              We left town for the holidays and I just found out that my house was robbed and the thieves used my truck to haul away everything. Unbelievable! My truck was recovered.

I will really be happy to see 2010 go away!

My question is will the home owners still cover the items that were stolen from the house?
              If your home is in foreclosure that means you stopped making mortgage payments and those payments probably included escrow to pay for your insurance and taxes. What the bank has probably done is taken out an insurance policy on the house declaring itself as the loss payee since you breached your mortgage contract by not making payments. The bank protected itself in case of a fire or other loss/damage. Your personal effects are probably not covered by that policy and the bank would not cover items owned by you. When you stopped making your mortgage payments and went into foreclosure you should have contacted your insurance carrier to protect yourself as to this situation. The only thing you can do is contact the insurance carrier through which you had your house insurance and see if that policy has lapsed as that depends upon when you went into foreclosure. Your escrow is used once a year to pay for a full year's worth of house insurance. What was the end date of your house policy? If it has not passed, you may be in luck.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by beyoka
                really sorry to hear that .
                but it is really a big point that you raised , what to do if the house is robbed and you are just staying there as a rentee , who will get the payment ?
                If you are renting a house and the house is robbed and your contents taken, if you do not have renter's insurance for your personal items, you are out of luck. If there is damage to the rental house or items removed that were attached to the rental house, the owner has their own insurance coverage to take care of that; the owner's coverage does not cover the renter's personal items.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  If your home is in foreclosure that means you stopped making mortgage payments and those payments probably included escrow to pay for your insurance and taxes. What the bank has probably done is taken out an insurance policy on the house declaring itself as the loss payee since you breached your mortgage contract by not making payments. The bank protected itself in case of a fire or other loss/damage. Your personal effects are probably not covered by that policy and the bank would not cover items owned by you. When you stopped making your mortgage payments and went into foreclosure you should have contacted your insurance carrier to protect yourself as to this situation. The only thing you can do is contact the insurance carrier through which you had your house insurance and see if that policy has lapsed as that depends upon when you went into foreclosure. Your escrow is used once a year to pay for a full year's worth of house insurance. What was the end date of your house policy? If it has not passed, you may be in luck.
                  actually, the example given here is what happened with us.

however, we did not elect to not pay and stay....and to our surprise approx. 6 months later we rec'd a check reimbursement for the homeowners insurance for that year. i called the insurance company immediately and said the insurance payment had been in escrow and the bank pd them.

the insurance promptly reminded us, no, you pd the bank....so the money is actually yours, since as flamingo's example states. had something happened within that "years" coverage time, although we had not pd the mortgage, our insurance company would have covered our losses....but ONLY under those circumstances. we then asked if we could retain the insurance on the house although vacate...unfortunately, we could not....the bank has an umbrella policy as i previously stated to cover liability and loss against fire, break ins, etc.

once again best of luck to you!

Comment

You need to find out what type of insurance is on the house. Is it really homeowners insurance, or did the bank force place coverage for their protection.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

All here feel the same. Yes, bad time for bad news but until you contact your carrier, you won't know.

In the event of total loss, attempt to turn the lemon into lemonade as a loss on your income taxes. I know that is no conciliation, but half of something is better than all of nothing. If you can, still, have a Merry Christmas anyway. 'Hub

(The audio does not play in Firefox/Mozilla.)
                      Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 12-23-2010, 07:24 AM. Reason: Added the notice about Firefox.
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Great News!.....Just found out that my homeowners will cover the losses!! Happy New Year!!! Adios 2010....Bring on 2011!!
                        Thanks to everyone on BK for all the info and compassion!
                        A Blessed New Year to all!

Comment

That's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by garyp15 View Post
                            Great News!.....Just found out that my homeowners will cover the losses!! Happy New Year!!! Adios 2010....Bring on 2011!!
                            Thanks to everyone on BK for all the info and compassion!
                            A Blessed New Year to all!
                            COOL!!!!!!! so it was still in place.......it NEVER hurts to ask!!!!!!

GREAT news!!!!!!

Comment

so glad for some GOOD news!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X