top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you stop paying home insurance when you vacate a home? Utilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you stop paying home insurance when you vacate a home? Utilities?

We are current on our home insurance but we haven't paid on our mortgage since Dec 2010.

We are moving at the end of the month, and I'm wondering if we should just stop paying our home insurance? Not even sure I'd know how to do that since it is lumped in with our car insurance (one monthly payment)?

Also, do we shut off the utilities? I would like BOA to take over the house because I'm worried what will happen to it in MO summer without any utilities on?
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM.

When I moved last month, I cancelled the electricity (there was no gas service to the house) and water.

I got a final bill from both the electric company (and a refund of my deposit due to payment history) and the water company. Interestingly, the electrical service was never turned off. I called to cancel sewer and garbage service but was denied the "turn off request" due to city mandates.

I refused to pay the bill. Both the sewer and garbage companies said they would place a lien on the house but not report the non-payment to credit agencies. I said fine as there is already a lien on the house for back property taxes.

As for homeowners insurance, I called my company and was honest with them. They said since the policy had just renewed in March 2011, I could continue the policy (which I'll continue to pay for as I don't want any liability claims against me). However, the insurance company will not renew me in March 2012 as the house is vacant.

After I moved, I sent a set of keys to the mortgage company (Ocwen) and told them all utilities had been turned off but that insurance remains in effect. Just last week there was an assignment of mortgage recorded at the county recorder's office (Sacramento).

I Guess the mortgage company is finally moving forward with foreclosure (although the house was discharged in my BK7).

Hope this helps :-)
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 05-13-2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: trying to make the post easier to read

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X