Post filing counseling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post filing counseling

I have only received one letter from the court concerning debtor education (2nd course). It expects $50 from me.

How do I find out about other options? There isn't $50 to pay for this. Do get more info on other courses that will be free? Nothing in this mailing sheds any light on any of this. Only a phone number to call to take the course on the phone.

I don't know what state you are in but one of the trustees in the northern district of georgia sponsors a free course. I would call your trustees office and ask if there are any free classes. When I went to file an amendment, they also had a packet listing all the companies that offer the course, many of them online. Good luck !

Comment

By googling "bankruptcy post filing debtor's education", I found a course for $15: https://www.secondbankruptcycourse.c...tion/index.php If you can't afford $15 and your income is low enough, the fee can be waived. There is information on the site.

Make sure the provider is approved by searching the Department of Justice's list at http://www.justice.gov/ust/list-appr...btor-education

You can find many more providers on the Department of Justice list or by doing a Google search.

Are you sure the letter you received is really from the court? It sounds more like an advertisement from a course provider, made to look like a letter from the court.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I looked at a few more results of my google search. Here's a course for $9.95: https://www.debtoredu.com/post-bankruptcy-course.aspx

I just learned that the fee is now capped at $50. This is a rule that came into effect in 2013, so it will be news to people like me who filed before that. The advertisement you received is for the worst deal you can get. They are counting on people thinking the notice is from the court and calling the number instead of shopping around.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you LadyinTheRed. I have created a log in at 001debtoredu. They will take 72 hours to decide on my request for a waiver

Thanks for your help! You and justbroke have been a great resource. I hope you know how great it was to find you and how invaluable your help has been. Many people sleep better at night because of your time and efforts on this forum.

Comment

Really? They want a credit card to bill!! Really? My credit card accounts were canceled when the banks found out I filed BK. I am amazed that secondbankruptcycourse wants a credit card to bill. Huh? Their front page claims the will accept direct withdrawal from checking...but..then they do not provide it as an option once you finish registration and they want to bill.

Anyone know of a place I can send a check to?

Comment

Try calling or emailing them
              Call 1 (800) 610-3920 or Email us at:
              [email protected]

Comment

I have a lot to learn about dealing with the world in cash only

They told me to go to Walmart and get a prepaid debit card and use that. So..wow..Walmart really skins people who need this service. Wow. its a case of a captive audience.

Comment

Are you unable to get a checking account with a debit card?

Comment

Actually there is a wonderful prepaid card at Walmart but it is called Bluebird by American Express. There are no monthly fees, no fees to use the atm at Walmart and no fees to load cash onto the card. I have a regular checking but I love this card and use it often during the month. You have your paycheck sent direct deposit to it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X