unmarried but living together with child, question about child's items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unmarried but living together with child, question about child's items

I'm just at the very very beginning stages of filing pro se. I'm the only one filing chapter 7. My girlfriend and son both live with me and are both dependents on my taxes as she is a stay-at home mom without income. My question is, when figuring out a list of items and their worth, do I have to include EVERYTHING in the house because they are both my dependents? Especially when it comes to my son, some of his items were purchased by her when she still worked or came from her family, my family, etc. Also, some items are hers from before we met and/or given by her family.

On a similar topic, she has a car that I've been making the payments on. The car loan and everything is in her name as she got it right before we found out she was pregnant and when she was still employed. I however have paid for 95% of it and have only about 8 payments left. What issues might this bring as far as it being an expense or it being considered my property, and how should I handle it?

The fact that you support her doesn't mean what she had before she moved in is yours. Gifts to them from familiy members also would not be your assets. Gifts from you may be a different story.

I suggest you get an attorney. Your case has too many potential complications to file pro se, IMO.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Ok so as far as my son's furniture, toys, clothing, etc., I should not include that in my list of assets then correct?

Comment

I don't know the answer to that.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X