Colloquial name on Social Security Card doesn't match any other documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colloquial name on Social Security Card doesn't match any other documents

As corny as this sounds I've never really had to provide my actual Social Security Card for anything in life... until my scheduled 341 in a couple weeks. I actually haven't seen it in 40+ years. Got it in the mail from my folks today and it's a colloquial name rather than my birth name, or any name I've ever used.

Imagine if every document you've provided to the trustee (or had in your adult life) has a name like "Thomas." Passport, credit cards, birth certificate, apartment lease, driver's license, court and collection document, tax returns etc. Then on the SSC it says "Tommy." Would my best bet be to file an amended 101, amend everything I've filed, or let the trustee know?

I would go to Social Security and see if you can change it so that it reflects the name that you have used. What does your birth certificate say?

Comment

The birth certificate has the name I've always used and filed under.

Comment

Your social security account (and card) should match your birth certificate. If they are out of sync, then you will need to go the the Social Security Administration and get that fixed. Many people use their nickname throughout their lives. My cousin has used his middle name his whole entire life although his SS card has his real first name then his middle name and last.

Your birth certificate is your official name unless you had it legally changed. If you had it legally changed, then you'd have the court order for that legal change. I'm thinking that your SS card is just wrong.

Bring your certified birth certificate and your SS card to the 341 Meeting. The real purpose of the SS card is to make sure it's the correct social security number on the bankruptcy filing. I didn't even present my SS card at the meeting since I could not find it. I used an alternative means to prove my social security number using a letter from the IRS.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If the BC is a certified copy, then take it with you to the 341, if you don't have time to correct the name on the SS card corrected. Be sure your DL is correct.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            Your birth certificate is your official name unless you had it legally changed. If you had it legally changed, then you'd have the court order for that legal change. I'm thinking that your SS card is just wrong.
            Thanks for the info, justbroke and Angelina.

I think it's a weird error, it was a small town in the early 80s. Talked to my mom this morning and I guess my dad filed the docs and used my nickname that didn't last past first grade for whatever reason. When we went to the office the clerk just let me sign it "Tommy," which I remember now. So weird. I guess the good news is that I've got the certified birth certificate, returns, passport etc etc so it shouldn't be a problem. Still going to try and get them lined up though, just in cast.

Comment

Good wishes to you! Don't be nervous about the meeting--it is just a meeting. There are plenty of advice posts about how to conduct yourself and dress for the meeting. If you do not know where it will be held, make a 'dry run' and find out. Also note any parking meters and their requirements, etc.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thought I'd follow up in case anyone else is in the same position. I ended up taking the colloquial social security card and my license (along with the birth certificate just in case) to my 341 on Friday. I was called up and presented my docs, the trustee looked at them and confirmed that the SSN matched my petition and gave them back didn't question the "Tommy Smith" on my card versus the "Thomas Smith" and "Tom Smith" that's on all my documents. Your pro se milage may vary!

I watched about 20 hearings before mine and there was one person who had problems. He had multiple last names on his paperwork but not on his social security card. e.g. "Josh Franklin Oscar-Smith" was on the paperwork, but only "Josh Franklin" was on the social security card. He explained something about a divorce / marriage along the line somewhere and using that second last name as a kid through adulthood. The trustee told his attorney that they have to file an amendment to make it an AKA. Even with that issue she gave them a non-appear date hinging on them correcting the paperwork so it didn't seem like a huge deal (but I'm not a lawyer so don't listen to me).

Other than that 341 complete and the wait begins.
                Last edited by crazymailman; 09-17-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X