Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about to file pro se--last minute help please

Hi to all and thanks in advance for all of the help,

I am about to file chapter 7 in georgia pro se and today i finished all of my paper work and I have some questions for yall. First, when i file how should i put the papers, i assume they should go in order with reference to the form number like b1 then b2 all the way to b21 and b22 if so please let me know if that is correct or incorrect. Second is there anything that you may know that would help me in my filing even if you think it is something simple please tell me any hints or tips you may have. Third are there any common errors that people make mistakes on if so please let me know so i can correct my paper work before i file.

Thanks once again for any help!

Don't worry about the order; initially ordering it by form number is fine. When you personally file them with the Bankruptcy Court, the Clerk will arrange it in the Order that the Court likes it. I learned that when she took my entire petition and rearranged the pages... then performed a page count.
    1. Always file in person and bring at least one additional copy and ask for it to be "file stamped"
    2. Always file in person because there may be local forms that you are not aware of, and you can complete them by hand right there
    3. Make sure that the papers that you file with the Court are always have a 'wet signature"! I submitted a Motion to the Court but had used my "rubber stamp" from my PDF program to insert my signature. The Clerk caught that quickly and said "that needs to be a wet signature!" Oh well. She let me just sign it again over the dry signature.
    4. Whenever you are unsure about a procedural question, always contact the Clerk's office and ask for your case manager. You need to become good friends with the Case Manager and that way you can call and ask your procedural questions without "bugging" them. They are busy, especially towards the end of the month.
    5. Keep an excellent filing system. Make sure you have folders for copies that you need to keep with you.
    6. BACKUP your computer system, your bankruptcy files, at least weekly.
    7. Did I mention that you should backup your computer files?
    8. Check your Local District Court's website for any local rules or procedures. Many local courts have an "attorney package" (or maybe even a pro se package) will will help you to file your petition correctly!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Don't worry about the order; initially ordering it by form number is fine. When you personally file them with the Bankruptcy Court, the Clerk will arrange it in the Order that the Court likes it. I learned that when she took my entire petition and rearranged the pages... then performed a page count.
      1. Always file in person and bring at least one additional copy and ask for it to be "file stamped"
      2. Always file in person because there may be local forms that you are not aware of, and you can complete them by hand right there
      3. Make sure that the papers that you file with the Court are always have a 'wet signature"! I submitted a Motion to the Court but had used my "rubber stamp" from my PDF program to insert my signature. The Clerk caught that quickly and said "that needs to be a wet signature!" Oh well. She let me just sign it again over the dry signature.
      4. Whenever you are unsure about a procedural question, always contact the Clerk's office and ask for your case manager. You need to become good friends with the Case Manager and that way you can call and ask your procedural questions without "bugging" them. They are busy, especially towards the end of the month.
      5. Keep an excellent filing system. Make sure you have folders for copies that you need to keep with you.
      6. BACKUP your computer system, your bankruptcy files, at least weekly.
      7. Did I mention that you should backup your computer files?
      8. Check your Local District Court's website for any local rules or procedures. Many local courts have an "attorney package" (or maybe even a pro se package) will will help you to file your petition correctly!
      ok thanks a bunch. i am going to call my local court tomorrow and see what local papers if any i need to fill out and also where i need to take my papers to file. so thanks once again i plan on filing this week. You have been a lot of help and i will keep you posted on the progress.

Comment

My local court's website had a zip file of all of the forms including a coversheet with a checklist. I had three copies of all of them that were put in the order of the checklist with all original signatures. It turned out that I was still missing a summary of schedules. In hindsight, I should've gone to their records room and filled out that summary right then and there and filed it same day. Things went wrong because I didn't do that...

You can do the creditor matrix at the court house and if you are missing any forms, do them at the same time.

Good luck!
        12/05/08 - filed pro se
        01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
        04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
        6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blankslate View Post
          My local court's website had a zip file of all of the forms including a coversheet with a checklist. I had three copies of all of them that were put in the order of the checklist with all original signatures. It turned out that I was still missing a summary of schedules. In hindsight, I should've gone to their records room and filled out that summary right then and there and filed it same day. Things went wrong because I didn't do that...

You can do the creditor matrix at the court house and if you are missing any forms, do them at the same time.

Good luck!
          ok thanks for the input as always i am thankful for that. I called mu local office and they said there was no local forms that i had to worry about so i will be going tomorrow to file but when i get there i will ask once again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X