Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help starting please!!!

hi everyone,

i really want to file bankruptcy but I have no idea where to actually start. i've read many posts point towards books and what not, but I was wondering if there's something online with clear directions to just get started in the right direction.

i'm also nervous because i'm not sure if i qualify for bankruptcy. real quick, i live in california i have a money judgement against me ($36k), have some maxed out CCs ($20k), and student loans & taxes ($5k and $27k, respectively - i understand that don't really 'count'). i make about $2.6k a month. idk if this helps but just thought i'd throw this out there.

if someone could help me out with a website or a good book i'd really appreciate it. thanks so much.

You posted in the pro se forum which means you want to represent yourself. Even so, I'd suggest you meet with an attorney or two for the "free consult" and let them tell you.
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

I'd say to start with analyzing your income & expenses. Figure out what you're really spending every month on rent, food, transportation, etc. And perhaps schedule some appointments with bankruptcy attorneys. Regardless of what you ultimately do (file or not, pro se or not) you should be able to do free consults.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

You really need to read one of those books we talk about. The electronic format of the NoLo Chapter 7 guidebook can walk you through and even prepare you to file on your own. I would combine that with asking questions here on the Forum and you may be able to file on your own.

There's an electronic coupon around the internet that may be able to save you $10 on the electronic copy of the NoLo Book. I think "A416" may still work... but I don't know. You would apply the coupon on the "payment" screen. Don't forget to apply the coupon.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

This is how I started. Before I filed BK, (mine is chapter 13) I kept a little notebook and tracked my expenses every day. I marked if a purchase was necessary or irregular or impulsive. After a month of that I cured myself of impulse spending, because I saw how much money I was wasting on indulgences every month. After 3 or 4 months, I had a good handle on my budget and knew that I was able to live ok without the approximate amount that I figured I was going to put into a chapter 13 payment.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X