Considering Pro Se in MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Pro Se in MD

Originally I was totally against filing Pro Se. The process alone seemed way to involved and difficult. I think I have a relatively simple case. Old CC debt, old medical bills, random charge offs, and student loans. I don't own anything, not even a car, so I have zero assets. I know that the student loans are mine to keep, but if the filing stops the garnishments I have, I could start a payment plan.

I plan to get the NOLO book this evening and read like my life depends on it this weekend. Between the book and all the information here, I may be able to pull this off!

Feeling a wee bit better...I almost have a plan!

I file pro-se back in March. It was not hard but you need to do your homework. I will never forget I had to go in for my reaffirmation agreement hearing the Judge was so nice. He started by greeting everyone in a very soft voice and said "nothing bad is going to happen to you hear today. I am not going to yell at you and you will be no worse off when you leave today than when you entered and hopefully you will feel better about the process. " He denied my auto reaffirmation agreement and issued a "Chimm" order stating that as long as I made the payemnts and kept iinsurnace Ally could not repossess. I thanked him and he said "Don't thank me you pay my salary". It was a good experience. There is a free clinic at the courthouse everyweek for pro-se filers. You can take your paperwork and a volunteer attorney will check it for you and answer any questions you have. It is every Thurday in Greenbelt but you need to call and make an appointment. Check the BK court website for info.

Comment

Originally posted by malf1204 View Post
      I file pro-se back in March. It was not hard but you need to do your homework. I will never forget I had to go in for my reaffirmation agreement hearing the Judge was so nice. He started by greeting everyone in a very soft voice and said "nothing bad is going to happen to you hear today. I am not going to yell at you and you will be no worse off when you leave today than when you entered and hopefully you will feel better about the process. " He denied my auto reaffirmation agreement and issued a "Chimm" order stating that as long as I made the payemnts and kept iinsurnace Ally could not repossess. I thanked him and he said "Don't thank me you pay my salary". It was a good experience. There is a free clinic at the courthouse everyweek for pro-se filers. You can take your paperwork and a volunteer attorney will check it for you and answer any questions you have. It is every Thurday in Greenbelt but you need to call and make an appointment. Check the BK court website for info.
      Looks like you have a great ally Jai. Good luck! If you do your homework I'm sure it will be fine.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Do your homework, and before you start your process, call some lawyers and get some free consultations on your situation. Ask as many questions as you can.

I originally wasn't going to file Pro Se but while saving money for a lawyer, I researched filing myself and ended up going that route.
        8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
        9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
        Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have been reading up on it this past weekend. I plan to take advantage of a few free consultations as well. Thank you for the information about the clinic...I will definitely be taking advantage of that!

Comment

Nothing inherently wrong with going pro se, but here is the trap; is that you don't even know what you don't know, and that can really hurt you. Maryland seems to have fairly stingy exemptions (based on what I saw, really stingy) so you may think you have NO assets only to find out that you have a problem.

Free consultations are great, but they really don't answer detailed questions, a consultation is a selling process, not really a free legal clinic. So, if you find an attorney that you like, don't hesitate to hire one even if it will take a little time. At the end of the day, the time investment it will take for you to figure out the process and the stress related to "hoping" you are doing it right probably is worth the money to hire an attorney.

Just something to think about.
            Last edited by HHM; 11-13-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Point noted and appreciated. I will not be rushing into any decisions. I do know that I need to file as soon as practical. Paying an attorney would be my first choice, so taking advantage of the free consultations will also help me get a feel for them. If I could get these garnishments stopped I would have the money for the atty...but I need to file to get them to stop. Going to take this one day / step at a time. Thank you for your reply.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
              Nothing inherently wrong with going pro se, but here is the trap; is that you don't even know what you don't know, and that can really hurt you. Maryland seems to have fairly stingy exemptions (based on what I saw, really stingy) so you may think you have NO assets only to find out that you have a problem.

Free consultations are great, but they really don't answer detailed questions, a consultation is a selling process, not really a free legal clinic. So, if you find an attorney that you like, don't hesitate to hire one even if it will take a little time. At the end of the day, the time investment it will take for you to figure out the process and the stress related to "hoping" you are doing it right probably is worth the money to hire an attorney.

Comment

It's funny how things work out. One of my close friends (para legal) was reassigned to BK department of the law firm she works at about a year ago. She has offered to help me to fill out all the forms since that is what she does everyday! I am still unsure if that is the route I will go...but it is surely nice to have someone on your side!

Comment

I would take her up on that. It is funny. I was ashamed to tell my friends and co-workers that I was filing but when they found out they were very supportive. Everyone has tough time in their life and most people respect that.

Comment

I was hesitant at first, but so glad I talked to her about it. I should have the electronic forms tomorrow that they use, and she is pretty sure she will be able to file my case electronically, saving me a two hour drive.

I would take her up on that. It is funny. I was ashamed to tell my friends and co-workers that I was filing but when they found out they were very supportive. Everyone has tough time in their life and most people respect that.

Comment

It is my understanding that pro-se debtors cannot file electronically in MD. You do not need to drive you can mail the petition in.

Comment

I thought the same. She just briefly mentioned her account, and that we would discuss it. I will know more after her and I have a sit down this week.

It is my understanding that pro-se debtors cannot file electronically in MD. You do not need to drive you can mail the petition in.

Comment

It is my understanding that only an attorney can file electronically and to file electronically for you he/she would have to represent you. You can prepare all the forms and mail/Fed Ex them you do not have to go in person.

Comment

Thanks again. I am pretty sure that I will file them in person...just to make sure!

It is my understanding that only an attorney can file electronically and to file electronically for you he/she would have to represent you. You can prepare all the forms and mail/Fed Ex them you do not have to go in person.

Comment

We drove 2 hours 15 minutes to file ours.. Because i wanted my case number and my copy I had certified. Also the clerk was able to double check my paper work and make sure I had everything in order... We made a day of it...
                              8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
                              9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
                              Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X