How do you find your creditors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you find your creditors?

I pulled my credit report last fall. It just had "charged-off" on all my credit cards, but no collection agency had filed anything. I know my credit card issuers.

Two questions:

1. What address do you put on the forms for creditors? Do they have an address for bankruptcy notices to go to?

2. I'm sure collection agencies have these debts, but I never get any notices so no idea if they have them and who they are. If they don't contact you (if they exist), how do you know who owns the debt since its "charged-off"?

Thank you so much. I'm not filing till November.

First, you will need to pull an updated credit report, the one you have is woefully out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by kararah View Post
      I pulled my credit report last fall. It just had "charged-off" on all my credit cards, but no collection agency had filed anything. I know my credit card issuers.

Two questions:

1. What address do you put on the forms for creditors? Do they have an address for bankruptcy notices to go to?

2. I'm sure collection agencies have these debts, but I never get any notices so no idea if they have them and who they are. If they don't contact you (if they exist), how do you know who owns the debt since its "charged-off"?

Thank you so much. I'm not filing till November.

Hi kararah, Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good information here. I filed October 2010, with an attorney, but still I had to look up a lot of my creditors. When you do have a recent credit report, and are sure you are going to file, you might want to call some of your larger creditors (bank credit cards) and ask if they have a separate bankruptcy department.

I also had several creditors not listed on my credit report since I had a small business, so I just had to try and remember. Of course it's best not to leave anybody out. I spent at least 2 days calling anybody that I possibly owed money to, asking what the balance was and some of these people also told me if they had passed the debt onto a collection agency.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi, I'm about to file ch. 7 on my own, and have no idea how this all works.

I met with a bk attorney recently and he assured me that if I pull up my credit report, that would list ALL of my creditors. So after reading this post, it sounds like that is not the case ?! Oh great..

Comment

80/20 rule. 80% percent report to the bureaus. Some do not and further some only report to one of the three. So pull all three reports. If you are getting bills in the mail, make sure they are included, other than that it will be your memory. We struggled with it also but ended up not missing anyone.

Depending on how you did pay your bills when you were paying everything ok is there any chance to review bank statements to jog your memory? We did that.

Comment

I just used the addresses off the credit report, but if there's anything additional not listed on there that you know about and are wanting included then you should be sure to list those as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X