Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Pro Se Debtors from Trustee

Hello all.

The Trustee has sent my Hubs a list of standard documents that he would like prior to my Hubs' telephone conference with him, along with a "Questions for Pro Se Debtors" questionnaire. I have prepared everything for him, with limited assistance from him. Hubs has filed Chapter 7, solo.

One of the questions on the questionnaire is "Did someone (including internet preparers) assist you in completing your bankruptcy statements and schedules?

In reviewing all of the other questions, this particular questions seems geared towards PAID assistance. Naturally, my hubs did not pay me to help me...although I have told him that he owes me BIG TIME for all of the time that I have spent on this! Hahaha!

Should I answer NO, to the "Did someone assist you..." question? Or Yes, and state my information and that I am his wife?
    Some of the questions really do not apply to me, as they are in the nature of "did preparer tell you that she/he was an attorney" "Did you respond to preparer's advertisement" and questions of that nature.

What say you all?

He did not prepare the petituon, so the answer to "did anyone assist" is "yes". Answer all questions acurately, regardless of why you think the questions are asked. You didn't tell him you are an attorney and he didn't respond to your advertisements. So the answer to those questions is "no". Don't over think this.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Correct, don't over think this! Those questions are really related to "paid" preparers. The Trustee's office has been cracking down on preparers who are overcharging for services and/or providing "legal" advice to the debtors. The key is to be truthful. So, yes, you prepared the petition for him, but you were unpaid, etc.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ok, thanks! :-)

Comment

If you merely consulted with someone, and did not pay them, then answer NO. The trustee is looking to see if you PAID someone to fill out the bankruptcy petition/schedules for you, or PAID someone for legal advice with regard to filling them out. Of course, you can help your husband fill the forms out, and that is not really the trustee's concern.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X