Mailing petition and filing date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailing petition and filing date?

Can anyone tell me about how long after putting the chapter 7 forms in the mail they will be officially filed? I live in a different city than the bankruptcy court for my district (Eugene, Oregon). I know I need to print a bank statement for the trustee on the day of filing but how do I know what date that will be? Also, will the trustee be concerned with bank account balances after filing date?

I believe the filing date will be the day the court receives your petition. Sign up for PACER so you can search for your name or ssn to find your case once it's filed.

The trustee generally is only concerned with balances on the date you file. But trustees can ask for any information they want.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Is there any way to file online without an attorney?

Comment

Originally posted by NotRichYet View Post
        Is there any way to file online without an attorney?
        No. Only attorneys can file electronically. You should file your petition in person if at all possible. That way the clerk can let you know right away if you are missing something. If you file by mail, be sure to include an extra copy of your petition and a return envelope so they can conform the copy and return it to you.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks Lady! I appreciate the tip about the extra copy. I wish I could file in person, but it is a couple hours away. Mail will have to do.

Comment

If it was me, I would take the time and gas to DRIVE the petition to the courthouse. That way,
            will know that it got there, get your case number, and the clerk of the BK Court usually checks through the papers to make sure everything is in order. This is too important a matter to take any chacnes on.

Otherwise, while the Post Awful usually does a good job, if there are weather problems, you are at the mercy of the delivery system. If you do mail the petition mailed it CERTIFIED with a return receipt that must be signed for.

Good wishes to you!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks A-Cat. Post Awful, I like that!

Comment

Originally posted by NotRichYet View Post
                Thanks A-Cat. Post Awful, I like that!
                My Mother and Grandmother were Postmasters! So I can get away with saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  My Mother and Grandmother were Postmasters! So I can get away with saying that.
                  LOL. I was trying to decide whether to be offended on behalf of my grandfather who was a very proud postmaster. I guess I wont be.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                    LOL. I was trying to decide whether to be offended on behalf of my grandfather who was a very proud postmaster. I guess I wont be.
                    No you shouldn't be. Our Postmasters and Postal Clerks (my Father and an Aunt), in our families, would be VERY offended over the way the Post Office is handled now.

I have some early records from that Post Office, and things were a lot different then, than they are now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X