Means Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means Testing

If you fall WELL below the state median income for a Chapter 7, do you have to also fill out the monthly expense sheet to determine left over monies each month?

Also, were would one find the exemption codes to use in the sheet of property claimed exempt?

Thanks!

I do not understand what "monthly expense sheet" to which you are referring? Please be specific, such as Schedule I or Schedule J, or even which parts of the Means Test (Form B22-C) that you may need to complete.

The exemptions are either your State's statutes covering exemptions or the Federal Exemptions under 11 USC 522. If you are not using a guidebook, you really need to start there! There is a site named legalconsumer.com which has a bunch of information, but I highly recommend a guidebook such as NoLo's guide to bankruptcy.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Means testing doesn't impact the schedules of monthly income or expenses; those are independent of Form 22, and must be completed in full.

You can find exemption statutes in the Nolo book, but you should read the actual code sections to be sure that they haven't changed since the last publication date.
      I am a lawyer licensed to practice in NY and CA, but I'm not your lawyer unless we have a signed agreement that says so. Nothing in this post should be considered legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jjgrady View Post
        If you fall WELL below the state median income for a Chapter 7, do you have to also fill out the monthly expense sheet to determine left over monies each month?
        I think I understand your question and you are talking only about the means test, not the other schedules. The answer to your question is right on the form. Follow the instructions on the form. If you can't find the answer to this question, you should not file pro-se.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X