Listing creditors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listing creditors

I am in the process of compiling my credit reports to file for bankruptcy. The people that post on here say to list everything. Does that mean that I list accounts that had charge-off or debt charged off on the matrix? I am not sure if some of the debt collection agencies have reported to my credit report? I have all 3 reports on my computer now, so I will sort through all of the mess. I have been out of work for about 2 years and am just going to file pro-se because I cannot afford 1500 dollars right now. So basically my question is: If I double list the same debt, is that going to cause problems? Do debts that say charge off get listed as well? Thanks in advance for any advice.

My lawyer double listed some of my stuff. Everything went fine.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

If the debt was sent to a collection agency, list it once for the original creidtor with the original amount. For any collection agency or subsequent junk debt buyer (JDB) just list the creditor's name and address, with a description of "collection account for ABC Creditor, Inc.", with $0.00 for the amount and "contingent" checked, that's the way to do it!

Do you at least have a guidebook for filing bankruptcy? Many people recommend the NoLo Guidebook to filing bankruptcy. I purchased it myself even though I have a Chapter 13 and it was a bit more complex.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yes, I will purchase the NOLO book. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

It's better to list too many creditors than not enough! List everyone you ever owed money to (or who claimed you owed them money) but didn't pay in full, regardless of whether they charged off the debt. If you don't agree you owed a creditor money, mark the debt as disputed.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

If I list the original creditors for the debt, does that automatically make the collection accounts null and void? If the original debt is discharged, then the collections would have to cease because the debt will be liquidated? Am I correct in my thinking? I will list everything that I can, it is just keeping all of these collection agencies in order is a royal pain. I can honestly say that I will be extremely reluctant to ask for credit ever agian, just because of dealing with all of the tedious paperwork.

Comment

You're trying to overthink this. List them all, period. Don't worry about if the same debt is listed more than once. It's no big deal. List everyone, right down to the kitchen sink and the family dog. Do not miss any creditors.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X