top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferential Payment To Family Member and Chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferential Payment To Family Member and Chapter 13?

Hi--

I have a preferential payment to a family member now that I cannot avoid.

I have been told by one attorney that I have to wait 1 year.

I was told by another that I don't, but that I have to account for the $12,000 somehow. I guess it gets folded into my plan. He won't really answer detailed questions unless we hire him.

Does anyone know if bk is out of the question for a year if we declare Chapter 13 because of this payment?

Thanks!

My understanding is that at least the value of the pref. payment (+ any non-exempt assets) needs to go to unsecured. So if you have $12,000 in pref. payment, then at least $12,000 needs to go to your unsecured creditors in your plan.

That would be in addition to priority debts. Priority would be secured debt, mortgage arrears, taxes. I am not sure if it counts what goes to the trustee?

Example: if you had $10,000 in mortgage arrears and no other priority debts and a 10% trustee fee then you'd need to pay at least ($10,000 + $12,000) / .90 into your plan. Dividing by .90 accounts for the trustee fee. In this example, you'd need to pay at least about $24,445. So over 36 months that would be $679 or $408 over 60.

It becomes a real problem if there is not enough room in your budget to pay enough to cover priority, trustee fee, and preferential payments.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
      My understanding is that at least the value of the pref. payment (+ any non-exempt assets) needs to go to unsecured. So if you have $12,000 in pref. payment, then at least $12,000 needs to go to your unsecured creditors in your plan.

That would be in addition to priority debts. Priority would be secured debt, mortgage arrears, taxes. I am not sure if it counts what goes to the trustee?

Example: if you had $10,000 in mortgage arrears and no other priority debts and a 10% trustee fee then you'd need to pay at least ($10,000 + $12,000) / .90 into your plan. Dividing by .90 accounts for the trustee fee. In this example, you'd need to pay at least about $24,445. So over 36 months that would be $679 or $408 over 60.

It becomes a real problem if there is not enough room in your budget to pay enough to cover priority, trustee fee, and preferential payments.
      Perfect analysis.

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

That was what I suspected based on my 15 minute phone consult with the lawyer. He didn't want to go into details.

So I can declare Chapter 13 at any point. Now I have a second question, which you might not know the answer to.

The payment is to my father. Will I have to prove it was the payment of a debt and not a transfer of assets? Because I cannot have my father know that I am declaring bankruptcy.

I could sort of prove it somehow because of a car purchase that I made. I think I can prove I purchased the car as a result of my car accident. My father paid for this and I am paying him back out of the damages I got from my head injury during the accident.

But I don't know if I have to get some kind of affidavit from my father? That will not be possible.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X