Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about this

Hi
    A year ago I was single and filed BK7. In July had the 341, then in first part
    of October was discharged. Everything was closed the end of March. It took so long because the bank screwed upo the re-affirmation paperwork and it was denied. I had only owed 1500.00 on the car and in Feb, becuase we thought was ok, hubby (as of Dec 2009) and I traded the car and bought a new one in his name. Anyways, ALL CLOSED the end of March.
    NOW, my husband has had his lawyer write up paperwork for a WARRANTY DEED, joint tenants with rights of survivorship on the home he owned before we met. I lost my home with my BK7. Is it safe for his lawyer to file this now or do we need to wait 6 months after the closing?
    I would hate to raise any red flags or have the trustee go after anything he has in this home. My BK7 has nothing to do with him, nor did I ever intend to file, I just lost my job and we were living in seperate places at the time, etc...When I filed I also had no idea we were going to get married. He said NEVER AGAIN!

I callled my lawyer and spoke to her paralegal and she wasn't sure. She then spoke to my lawyer and called me back and said "it should be ok" to file now.

Anyone ever done this before?

Congratulations...you have nothing to worry about. Your case is closed. Your husband wants to include you on the deed to his home...that is very nice. Accept it.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

But don't they keep tabs on stuff for 6 months after the officail closing? It's really only been 2.5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by notadeadbeat View Post
        But don't they keep tabs on stuff for 6 months after the officail closing? It's really only been 2.5 months.
        No they don't. You are only required to report if you become entitled to property/money upon bequest, devise, or inheritance and certain other property matters related to a divorce decree or insurance proceeds paid upon death or a death benefit payment.

Since (I hope) this pre-marital home was not part of a dissolution of marriage's property settlement agreement, you are free and clear.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          No they don't. You are only required to report if you become entitled to property/money upon bequest, devise, or inheritance and certain other property matters related to a divorce decree or insurance proceeds paid upon death or a death benefit payment.

Since (I hope) this pre-marital home was not part of a dissolution of marriage's property settlement agreement, you are free and clear.
          What does this mean? His house was his, mine went in the BK7.
          I had previously owned my home long before we met, and he had his long before he met me. He bought this house on his own 6 years after he got divorced. And my house was never attached to my ex at any time.

Comment

It means you are ok.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X