top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

get cash out of bank w/out raising eyebrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skhan66 View Post
    I had 12000 in my bank account . I disclosed this amount in my BK . Told my lawyer to protect it and Filed BK, it still remains in my bank after Discharge.
    We are fortunate in California to have a rather generous wild card exemption that we can use to exempt cash. Many (maybe even most) states don't have a way to exempt large amounts of cash.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I had 12000 in my bank account . I disclosed this amount in my BK . Told my lawyer to protect it and Filed BK, it still remains in my bank after Discharge.
      Your attorney would have had to use a wild card exemption to exempt this in order for you to keep it.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

good atty! nice to know there is at least one out there some where.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

But, was the money locked up during the bk process, or were you allowed to use it? I'm curious because we are in a similar position, saving our mortgage payments, and planning to exempt the cash (around 15K by the time we file). Will it be locked up in an account, or will we be allowed to use it during the BK? One reason we're saving it is to replace the car we'll be giving back after we file, so at some point most likely before the discharge (because I'm sure the car loan people will want it right away), we'll need to take some of that 15K to buy a "new" used car...
          --------------------------------------------
          As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

These are questions that probably should go to your attorney, for better or worse.

That being said, some things will almost always be acceptable, such as pre-paying the rent and electric bill, stocking up on groceries, doing necessary auto maintenance, and taking care of other necessities a few months ahead of time. This can be justified as prudence in the face of economic uncertainty.

In my case, being self-employed, I got a few big payments that I used in this way. I was prepared to explain to the trustee that I have no guaranteed income, so I like to cover the essentials of life in case of a few slow months in a row. But he didn't even bat an eye.

-Rich
            Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
            Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X