top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paid money to my fathers credit cards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid money to my fathers credit cards...

Hello,

In the past 6 months I have paid 2500.00 in payments to my father's credit card. They were all my charges and I have reciepts and statements to prove them. It was airline tickets for my husband who was at the time stationed in Germany (currently deployed). The rest of the purchases were for a UHAUL and gas from Colorado to Nevada. I just moved here in July. I paid them off with my student loan money after I graduated in July.

I'm just looking for opinions on if they will try to go after my father for this? He doesn't have any money. My attorney listed it as a payment to family. I'm stressing about everything.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Were you an 'authorized user' on your father's card? Or did he just hand it to you? Knowing the answer will help the members formulate an answer.

Good wishes to you.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you

I was not an authorized user, he just handed me the card.. I used it often.

Hope that clarifies a little.

Comment

Originally posted by 21bwife View Post
        Thank you

I was not an authorized user, he just handed me the card.. I used it often.

Hope that clarifies a little.
        That is what I was afraid of. It looks like you had a continuing revolving loan from your father, and paid him back in large amounts over the six month period.

In my opinion, you need to stop using this card, and stop making payments to your Dad for at least another six months, longer if possible. If the trustee perceives this to be a preferential or/and/an insider payment payment situation, the look-back can be a year or more.

Make sure you have each and every receipt and can account for everything.

If you have been paying your Dad regular payments during this six month period, how much were the payments?

I don't wish to add to your anguish, but I am VERY troubled by your attorney's notation that listed it as: "a payment to family".
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-28-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I was paying payments of about 30 dollars every couple of weeks directly to his credit card. Then in the end June I recieved a check for 5200.00 from a credit balance of my paid tuition. I paid about 2200 to his credit card in lump sum. With the remaining amount I paid our furniture loan payments that were past due and a deposit on the house I am currently living in. We were up to date on all of our car payments, revolving lines of credit, ect. Just not things in collections.

My lawyer thinks it could go either way. I printed out the flight itenirary/reciept with cc# and my dad's credit card statements that show the charges. I also printed out his payment history for the last year which will show all the payments I have made. They total almost 2500.00, I hadn't made any payments previous to then.

I still owe my Dad over a 1000 dollars but he knows he won't get it back right now, if ever... What a mess!!

Thanks again for your reply

Comment

Since you are making payments to Dad's credit card, and not directly to him, it might work out okay.

As far as paying your Dad back, once you are discharged, you are free to make payments to anyone you choose. As you are able, I am sure Dad will accept 30.00 a week, or a fill-up of the gas tank now and again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X