Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 vehicles, keep one surrender one?

Hello,
    Let me say I wish I had found this forum prior to applying for chapter 7 in 7/16. I did receive a discharge 10/17, woohoo! Currently I have two vehicles financed through my local credit union, with whom I also had a small $2000 personal loan. The personal loan got discharged in the bk, and the judge did not allow us to reaffirm the autos.
    Following my lawyers advice I am currently still paying on all three loans so I can retain my vehicles till I can get something else. My question is will the credit union give up the title to a vehicle if I sell it and pay it off or will they hold it until all loans are payed off? The reason I ask is because 1 vehicle I'm in the black on and the other about $4000 in the red.
    Best case scenario I could sell the one vehicle pay it off and give title to new owner and then just surrender the other vehicle and stop paying on the small loan. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to BKforum!

I am assuming that the loans are cross-collateralized, meaning that both vehicles are security for all 3 loans. If that is the case, they are unlikely to give you the title until all 3 loans are paid off. You could call them and discuss selling the one vehicle with the sale proceeds going directly to them.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks for the response. Yes I agree that all three will have to be paid or at least the small loan then they may act individually on the vehicles. I am in contact with the cu paralegal, so we will see what their stance is tomorrow.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X