top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much time before repo? Advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much time before repo? Advice needed.

just got a letter "Final Demand Notice - Legal Action Pending" on a Credit Union Visa late 73 days, $436.00 in arears, balance of $7,000+....

It says to pay up or arrange payments by Dec.13 and this is why I'm freaked:
    I have a car loan for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo retail value of $6,000-8,000 last time I looked with the credit union which I renegotiated in May to bring payments down to $110 from $368, which extended my loan out two years. Owe $1900.

I understand CUs cross-collateralize! So, freaked about when they will be able to repo the car and need help on what to do immediately if anything??

How much time do I have? I am in midst of preparing bk questionaire to see whether a paralegal can help me or if I can be referred to a modest means lawyer.

Thanks for any help. I'm in Northern California, if that makes a difference.

File quickly. You may be able to renegotiate the removal of the cross collateralization in your reaffirmation agreement with the CU. I am assuming you want to reaffirm the car and dump the cc?

I was able to get my CU to take off the cross collateralization in my reaffirmation agreement. I reaffirmed the car, dumped the mortgage and the credit card.

Who is your CU? Are they large or smaller?
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Large in North Bay counties like Marin, Sonoma, maybe Mendocino and Lake, the redwood region.

Comment

Ideally, I would like to keep the car as I do not have any money to get another one. I am unemployed getting benefits and have only the basic personal property; no house/mortgage. And another $13,000 in cc debt and $6,000 owed to IRS.

Would talking with them help me in any way? I think they are being aggressive because they could take the car to satisfy the cc debt. I have kept up with car payments.

Comment

I tried to work something out with my CU prior to filing and it was not possible as long as I was delinquent with the CC pmts.

Once I filed BK, I spoke to the BK dept and they were willing to work with me. I don't know your specific CU - but since they are large, they probably have a BK dept that is familiar with the process. BTW, I did NOT tell the CU I was filing BK because I did not want them to jump the gun with a repo either (I was current on the car and deliq on both the 2nd mtg and cc). YMMV.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

update to Demand Notice letter and freakin' out

okay, got brave and called the CU contact about a "Final Demand" letter for $436 balance due to bring current on $7,000 cc debt.

I planned to answer no questions and called at end of Friday which was latest possible before they "take further action" on Dec. 13. I simply id'd myself and account # then asked "what does this mean?"

"it means we will send this past due amount to an outside collection agent to contact you about payments."

That was good news as I had been freaking that they were about to start judgment or repo. So, I have calmed down and will continue to fill out my bk questionnaire to determine whether to file with lawyer's help or pro se with help from a paralegal.

Comment

I'm 4 months behind on a $22000 visa with my CU who holds the note on my 2009 truck. The truck is at 0 equity (not negative/not positive) I keep making the $552 payment on the truck and told the CU 45 days ago I was filing CH13 on the card and have not heard a thing since.

My plan has not been filed yet, but it is to pay them out of the plan $599/60 months to pay the truck off which is a higher payment to pay it off sooner than it's 66 months left now.

Now, I don't know if I will ever get the lien released in 5 years having screwed them on the card, lol. If not, I'll keep it forever and will park it at the local CU branch someday when it finally dies.
              19% dividend

Comment

Are you not able to do a Ch7? Or are you doing a 13 to keep the truck?

Comment

*cancel*
                  19% dividend

Comment

Well, it is a year later and I still have not file for Ch7 bk. The CU I have the car loan with, which has just $700 left to pay off, has just sent a legal action letter regarding the $7,600+ cc debt. So, there is quite a bit of equity in the 2002 Jeep -- maybe enough to cover the cc debt!! Ack! time to file! I would like to keep the car since I almost own it and have not been late ever. I renegotiated the loan year and half ago to reduce payments by 66% as I was/am unemployed. That extended loan by two years but means I was able t make the payments.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X