No announcement yet.

Does Best Buy repossess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading all of your posts here just gives me a lot more stress as I had more than 9K on BB card. Does any of you here live in Minnesota?
    Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

I have this question: what if those purchased from BB were for gifts and to pay debts from friends, would BB ask for them back? Right now I don't have any of those in my possession.
      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

I wouldn't say "gifts" I would say that you "pawned" them or sold them at a garage sale. Gifts might be a voidable transfer of property by a debtor. Sale is an exchange for equivalent value which you then would have "spent".
        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Thanks catleg.

Comment

I got a call from a CA trying to collect for Dell; they told me that they were exempt from my chapter 7. I told her to contact my lawyer anyway; that was that. They never called back, I don't believe they ever contacted my lawyer. This was a few days before we filed.
            Plain and simple they won't come and get it. Ethically is it the right thing to settle? Yes and no; you are filing bk...
            The phrase I kept hearing in regards to this situation is that they can pound sand.
            The question too, if they actually DID come to collect their stuff, is that what if you sold it at a yard sale? Or plain didn't have the items anymore? Not much they can do about it. I've heard people say that they told the CA that they didn't have the item anymore and they didn't bother them again.
            On a side note, we filed ch 7 about 12 years ago. Sears showed up wanting their microwave or a check for $38. Gave them the check but later wondered how they even knew we still had it. This woman was going from couple to couple, it was popular that day. Still have the microwave by the way ;)

Comment

I still got phone calls from I.C System (CA for BB) calling my mom a week after I filed. Geez. Why the heck did they call my mom then? When I mentioned this to the law office that file my BK, they said they contacted them but I.C. System said I have to call them and give them the details. Are they high on something or do they think they're exempt too?

Comment

Today I received the letter from the legal assistant of my lawyer. It's the letter from Bass & Associates representing BestBuy asking me to reaffirm. Now this day has come. Should I ignore this letter or respond? The debt was around $9K and now it's ballooned to well over $12. I'll discuss this with the attorney tomorrow after the 341 hearing.

Comment

You'll have to make sure that your story is consistent with whatever you put on your bankruptcy schedules, as far as assets and transfers are concerned.
                  It may be wise to claim missing item(s) either broke down and were discarded or else were sold at garage sales.

It occurred to me that the difference between Dell and BB credit accounts is that a lot of Dell gear is bought for resale to customers, while BB stuff is almost always consumer purchases. Thus Dell makes almost no effort to recoup while BB is like Citifinancial or some other "Household Finance" type operation.

Comment

Catleg,

Do you have any experience with Home Depot? I had a store credit card that I used to purchase a fridge, a washer and a dryer in April of 07. Initial balance was 3.3K, now 1.5K with back interest. I'm hesitant to say come and git'em when the time comes, but do they actually have a history of repo'ing? Thanks
                    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

I had 2 HD accounts (mine and wife's) both filed claims as unsecured. No effort made to collect anything after filing BK.

Comment

catleg

My lawyer just put everything in as "furniture" under asset, not one specific item listed as such. The exception was the 2008 computer.

Comment

Originally posted by wnguyen View Post
                          Today I received the letter from the legal assistant of my lawyer. It's the letter from Bass & Associates representing BestBuy asking me to reaffirm. Now this day has come. Should I ignore this letter or respond? The debt was around $9K and now it's ballooned to well over $12. I'll discuss this with the attorney tomorrow after the 341 hearing.
                          Don't bother responding. Do not re-affirm. Whatever you bought for 9K is not worth 2K now. Even if they come get it(which is very doubtful) you can replace it for alot less. You do not want ot re-obligate yourself to this debt. That's just crazy.
                          Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
                          Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
                          341 - 2/12/2010
                          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

BCA

Thank you. Now I'm waiting for them to come and pick those up, if they can find them. Yes, re-obligate the debt is insane and unrealistic. It'd defeat the whole purpose of BK.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X