surrendering a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surrendering a car

I am considering surrendering my car now 8 months after discharge, I did not reaffirm the loan with chrysler but I kept making the payments but im realizing I should have gave it up with the bankruptcy, I talked to my lawyer and he said that if I surrender the car now that I may be liable for and negative from the auction because I kept sending the payment and that is the same as reaffiming, any input is appriciated!!

Where did your atty practice law?

Not reaffirming means the debt was discharged in the bankruptcy and you do not owe a thing. You can surrender. The only situations where I think you might have an issue (not certain) is if there was an accident recently where you took insurance proceeds and did not fix the car.

Or was this a lease? If a lease, it could be different. Leases just need something in writing saying you are going to assume the lease. Does not need to be filed with the court. Check w/ your atty (if its a lease) and see if anything in your paperwork said anything about assuming the lease.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I'm in the middle of the same thing. Discharged 14mths ago did not reaffirm. Been paying on the loan. Stopped paying 2 mths ago. Have not heard a word from the bank. I'll
      drive till they take it. I have replacement auto tagged and insured now.

Comment

Well I guess I dont need to worry no more about this, I got lucky enough to sell the car saturday!!

Comment

Originally posted by tmielke1 View Post
          Well I guess I dont need to worry no more about this, I got lucky enough to sell the car saturday!!
          I assume you made enough money to pay off the vehicle and get the title?

Comment

Originally posted by jlmaca View Post
            I assume you made enough money to pay off the vehicle and get the title?

yes I did, plus a couple hundred in my pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by tmielke1 View Post
              yes I did, plus a couple hundred in my pocket!
              Good deal! Congrats...

I did not reafirm my auto after a chapter 7. I owe about $5000 and it's worth about $5000 so that's a wash. I have not paid a penny towards the debt and as I mentioned in another thread the car is now in another state. Since I can't get the title to register it the new location I'm out of luck when the current registration expires. So I'll just have to give it back.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X