New car before filing BK - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car before filing BK - Question

I found out today that Nmac does not reaffirm leases and will not do reaffrimation if pro se. They will however to a a Pay and Retain and will not repossess the vehicle as long as pymts are made evey month.

I also found out that I am pre approved for a new vehicle with them. I was planning on including the current lease in the BK but still want the car but was hoping to get it converted to a loan instead which they can't do. The preapproval will get me into a loan though.

If I buy a new car this month how long after should I file?

Since a car is necessary for almost everyone, it's fine to get your transportation needs finalized right before filing for bankruptcy. I'm not sure why your current car lease would be worse than owning a car.

Knowing ahead of time that they'll allow you to keep paying on the lease after you file, you'll have no liablility for going over on mileage or having to pay for dings on the car when your lease is up, which sounds pretty good.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Thanks.

The reason why I'm considering a new one is because the mileage is pretty high and will soon be out of warranty. The lease is up in 18 months and I will be doing a lot more miles bcz of job and I'm afraid that I end up having to do repairs. Also since I'm filing pro se they will not reaffirm that either. So I can include the loan in the Bk as well and just pay and retain. I was thinking that I'd have a better rate and payments before filing vs after BK.

So if I opted for that I wouldn't have to wait the 90 days then? Thx

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X