What to do about car after discharge -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about car after discharge -

We were finally discharged 2 weeks ago (yay!). Now we actually have to deal with the car situation.

We have one high mileage 15-year-old car that still runs, but for who knows how long. One 8-year-old low mileage minivan that needs cleaning up, but runs fine and could fetch $5K. Maybe. And one 4-year-old SUV with really low mileage, loan balance $18K, payments $500/month. The last payment we made was June. We did reaffirm, and we can afford the payment, but I now don't have the money to bring it current ($2500).

I'm calling the bank to see what they want to do. I'd like to keep the car. Do they ever let you roll back payments into the future or make some other arrangement like that? I could sell the minivan to pay the past-due part on the SUV, but we need 3 cars.
    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

If you need 3 cars, then you can't sell one to help pay for the other...unless you buy another one afterwards, which seems like more trouble than it's worth.

The only way to find out whether they will let you ride through from where you are now is by asking them. My lender wasn't interested, but they were a credit union so they played hardball - they repo'd my non-affirmed car less than 72 hours after discharge. DH's car lender (BOA), however, did not require the loan to be brought current, and were happy to let us keep the vehicle as long as we started making payments again.
    DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X