Bass and Associates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass and Associates

I know they have been discussed before and it seems they usually bluff BUT, they have been getting very aggressive with me by calling several times a week. I haven't talked to them yet. I'm about 6 months post discharge. I have a first gen IPad, computer, and blue ray player that they seem to have the necessary paperwork on. It's all about 2-3 years old. Honestly, they can have the blu ray, the computer is crap (although I don't want to have to buy another), and I love my iPad although it's starting to get a bit dated. I'm wondering if I'll be the first they actually send someone to get my stuff. The iPad still has some value. I'm tempted to offer them some small amount but I probably won't. Can this still effect my credit rating by not turning over stuff I they still own?

They called us about 16 months after discharge on a laptop that was at that time 2 years old. I was taken by surprise when I answered the phone. Told them I no longer had the item (it was a piece of junk) and they sent a form for me to certify we were no longer in possession. Interestingly, it did NOT list any items (wanted me to fill in the blanks). We decided that if they didn't even know what the purchase was, we were not going to provide them the information and trashed the form. It has been about 6 months or so since then. No more phone calls or mail.

Comment

If you don't answer the phone, they will keep calling. Because your BK was discharged according to another thread, I'm assuming this debt was discharged. Pick up the phone and find out what they want. If they are trying to get you to pay the debt, tell them it was discharged and they are in violation of the BK court's injunction against collection. If they say they want the property, tell them to come and get it. Don't waste your money paying for dated technology that they probably won't come and get anyway. If they actualy do come and get it, which would be the first time to my knowledge that anyone on this board has reported that happening, you can replace it.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I know how you feel about the iPad. Luckily, I bought my iPad one with cash but I think they'd get my iPad when pried my cold, dead fingers off of it. I wouldn't offer them anything. I also wouldn't admit to having any of it. Of course, that is me. I'm a jerk. I can be vague and not lie. Can they affect your credit rating? I can't see how they can. The debt has been discharged.

Shocking thing is that even broken iPads go for $150 on eBay! Who would have thought.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take my chances and tell them to come get it. If they actually do, I guess others can learn they migh actually mean it sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Miknan View Post
            If they actually do, I guess others can learn they migh actually mean it sometimes.
            Every cloud has a silver lining! Hopefully, the skies will remain clear. I'll give good odds that they will.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Tell them to be sure and file the proper paperwork to secure a writ of replevin and come for it. (Highly unlikely.) No one can legally show up at your door and demand stuff be handed over. There is a legal process they must go thru.
              ~Staci
              Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Curious what the outcome, if any so far, was on this issue?

We've had our own dealings with Bass (Best Buy and Furniture Row). They had wanted us to reaffirm, we said no.

We are about one month post discharge now and I've received a brief form letter from them asking for the name and phone number of the contact person who they can make arrangements with for return of Furniture Row collateral. Interestingly enough they don't list what the collateral is, and I can make a guess, but it just floors me how vague they are.

Can I just ignore this? I know that's been the general consensus in the 5+ pages of threads about them.

Is my understanding correct that they have to get some kind of court order to come repossess? Or can they just come get it now?

The main thing is that I want to avoid having to respond to any kind of court motion -- I don't want to incur any filing fees by filing an answer. In fact, I don't even want to waste a stamp to send this back to them.

So, just keep ignoring?

Comment

I'm confused. If it was discharged in BK then it's to late for them to claim the merchandise. The time to do that should have been in the 60 days from the 341 meeting and the discharge date. I don't see as they have the right to anything. I would answer the phone and tell them it was discharged in BK and if they don't stop calling and harassing you they'll be sanctions imposed against them for violating the discharge order.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong here?

Comment

I believe secured debt they are allowed to retrieve the security for the debt even though you have been relieved of the obligation if you did not reaffirm. In other words you can't have it both ways.

Secured vs unsecured is the diff.

Comment

Originally posted by df04527 View Post
                      I believe secured debt they are allowed to retrieve the security for the debt even though you have been relieved of the obligation if you did not reaffirm. In other words you can't have it both ways.

Secured vs unsecured is the diff.
                      Yes, but isn't there a time frame for that?

Comment

Okay, so I'm not finding a time frame so I quess they can come and take it at anytime. Of course, the condition they get it back in is another story :-)

Comment

Your obligation to pay has been discharged but not the underlying note or debt which is in effect attached to the object. It is a similar process to that for your home. You don't have to pay the mortgage anymore but the note or lien is still on the house. The bank can come claim it anytime they want if you are not paying the mortgage. There may be a time limit for collecting stuff but not for homes. If there is one for stuff, it would be more than a year. So yes they can come collect your stuff anytime. The real question is is it worth it. The consensus on the forum seems to be no because of the legal fees, the cost to come get it and their inability to resell it. Unless your stuff is expensive luxury stuff with good resale value it just doesn't pay them to come get it.

I would ignor the vague paper work and if contacted again suggest they get the correct court approved paper work to you. In the unlikely event they do want it back, they have to come get it. No meeting at some in between location or you bring it to them. You only have to be reasonable in making time for them. You don't have to go out of your way.

Relax and enjoy your fresh start. Don't let them get into your head.
                          Lawyer - $3000
                          Filing fee - $299
                          Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

I see the logic in actually talking to them but I'm just not going to answer them and let them keep calling. I'm kind of use to that anyway and they don't call all that much. Longer I drag it out the less valuable that property becomes. Eventually I'll be ready for new ones anyway and won't care if they do actually come and get it.

Comment

They don't really want the property back. What they want is for you to pay them to keep the property. They can't collect the debt from you but they can sell you their interest in the property. It's a convoluted area that sort of allows them to try and still get some money. When people tell them come get it, it really hurts their feelings.

I got a few calls. One tried to tell me that I was responsible to keep the property safe and well maintained until they could make arrangements to come get it. I think I really hurt her feelings when I told her, "I'll put it at the curb. Trash day is Monday, you've got until then to have it picked up.". Of course, I didn't put it at the curb and they never called again.

I even had a vehicle that the lender would not pick up. They wanted me to bring it to them! That is right. They seriously thought that I would drive it to their Atlanta Office and drop it off for them. I was discharged 1,150 days ago. That vehicle still is in the driveway. I use it every once in a while. I've kept it insured (liability) and plated. I'm pretty sure they've forgotten about it but they could surprise me one day.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X