Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!) (updated: 04/28/2015)

Welcome to the Bankruptcy Forum. Bankruptcy (BK) Forum is known as BKForum.com and will be referred to as BKF hereinafter. In order to ensure a long term success of our vibrant community, we have established certain rules and guidelines to which everyone must adhere to. Please take your time to carefully read our rules, before you start to participate in the community.

Things you agree to do:
BKFORUM.com (BKF) users agree to use the search function before starting a new thread. This prevents duplicate discussions and allows for better organized topics.

All BKF users agree to read the sticky posts which may be available at the top of a forum page. These Sticky posts often contain valuable information. They may also outline more rules and guidelines specific for that particular forum, stickies are put in place by that forums moderator(s) or admin(s).

Things you agree not to do:

All BKF users agree not to call people names or write a post simply to make a personal attack, or get a negative reaction; this behavior is not allowed on our forum. The use of derogatory language aimed at anyone will be severely dealt with. There is no need to agree with each other, or to even like each other. However, by signing onto BKForum.com you agree to treat each member and guest with the respect they deserve. No threats or personal attacks will be allowed.

All BKF users agree not to discuss, engage, or encourage any behavior or activity which violates the law. Discussion of drugs, violence, murder, theft, vandalism, fraud or any other issue which could be used to help individuals break the law is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to "bump" old threads, unless there is a specific benefit to the community by doing so. But in most cases, please don't post in very old threads, instead start new threads.

All BKF users agree not to attempt/use another members account. It is against BKF rules to use any account other than your own. Impersonating another member will result in an immediate ban. It is also against the rules to open more than one account in your own name without permission from a moderator or administrator. If you have been banned for any reason, it is against the rules to open another account. If you were banned temporarily and you are caught using another account you will be banned permanently. Choosing a moniker which is similar in either sound or spelling as a moderator or administrator is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to private message any moderator, admin, or other member with questions related to their personal circumstances (Questions about the forum or issues with the forum are ok). This forum only works when members share their experience and insights with everyone.

Things you agree not to post:
All BKF users agree not to post any derogatory/racist/or sexist remarks. This includes attachments, links and all information contained within posts, signatures, and avatars, failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban.

All BKF users agree not to post any copyrighted or trademarked information without the express written permission of the owner(s) / proper citation of source.

All BKF users agree not to post any real names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, social security numbers, or any other personal details (their own or other people's).

All BKF users agree not to post links, pictures, attachments, videos, or the like of pornographic content, objectionable material or extreme violence, whether cartoon or real.

All BKF users agree not to use BKF for advertising purposes without a written contract between yourself/company/agent and the administration of BKF. Blatant advertising will result in a ban.

All BKF users agree not to spam the forums. Spam includes but is not limited to posting erroneous, non-relevant-useless, off-topic, or meaningless posts. Spam may also include posts which contain no text, or large areas of blank space between lines. Simply posting emoticons without text is considered spam. BKF is the largest bankruptcy message board and all the content is intended to help other users. Please help us improve the quality of our forum by making sure that your posts are well-worded, spell checked, grammatically correct and syntaxed.

Regarding actions of moderators and administrators:

The forum is no place to air out your opinion or be judgmental of our staff and its capabilities.

All BKF users agree not to abuse or mistreat moderators or administrators. It is against BKF rules to post any information regarding bans or any other action taken by a member of the moderating or administrative team. If you wish to discuss bans or warnings please do so via PM. To place a complaint against a moderator, send a PM to a super moderator. All Moderators are equal, any decision made by a moderator must be adhered to. If a moderator tells you something you do not like, do not go to another moderator looking for a different answer. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. The moderators work as a team and respect the decisions made by their peers and will help enforce them unless an administrator tells them differently.
If you have an issue with how the forum is run, then notify one of our administrator and we will look into the situation. We have in the past and still do appreciate any input that you offer this forum. But critical input and/or judgmental postings towards the staff will result in you getting banned.


Should you find a thread offensive or out of line, then notify a Mod in a PM so they can evaluate the situation and do the action deemed necessary.

All moderators do have active "other" lives outside of the forum and help moderate this forum in their spare time throughout the days and weeks.

If you have a problem with a member or Mod follow the proper channels of reporting it.

BKF reserves the right to delete any posts which contain anti-BKF comments or discussion. Any bashing of moderators or administrators, or any of their discussion or actions will also be deleted, and the responsible posting party(s) will be banned. Any public anti-BKF advertising, communication, or posts on another forum will result in permanent bans as well.

All warnings and bans are decided by individual moderators and administrators. Warnings are preferable to bans however, for serious offenses and repeat abusers bans will go into effect. The length of the bans can vary from several hours to permanent.

All messages posted or sent including through PM are the property of BKforum.com.

All BKF users agree not to advertiser on the forum (Niether by posting, private messaging or using your signature). If you are a company/attorney/legal adviser wishing to advertise on the site or sell a product, you must contact the head administrator and inquire about our advertising packages.

All bankruptcy related opinions expressed on BKForum.com are those of their authors and not necessarily of BKF, its staff or representatives.

You agree not to copy any material/post/content from BKF without written permission from our head administrator .

By posting on this forum you agree to these terms and conditions, including any punishment deemed appropriate by moderators or administrators in the event of an offense.

Administrators/Moderators can change these rules at any time without prior notice.
See more
See less

Business Loan in default - preplanning and CC questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Business Loan in default - preplanning and CC questions

    Hello All,

    We are an S Corp with two bank loans in default. Still working with lawyer / bank on a resolution that does not require Chapter 11, which is what we would do if necessary.

    We have a number of corporate CC's ... as well as personal cards and corporate cards for a second S Corp biz.

    My question is this: while I recognize CC Co's can close accounts at any time, does anyone know if they will automatically close across a name or SS# when one entity files for Chapter 11?

    For example, have a corp CC, second corp CC and personal CC from one CC Bank. If we need to move to Chapter 11 for Biz in loan default, do I assume all three cards are gone now or ??

    Without resorting to "fraud", I am trying to be strategic about using CC's from now until the day we possibly file ... which could still be 6 to 9 months down the road. Or maybe not

    Any thoughts / info appreciated ...

  • #2
    If you file an 11 those banks can cancel them, why not.

    R U think of a Corp 11 or personal 11?

    Comment


    • #3
      JA: Credit with the same issuer will ALL cancel. Be mindful of any guarantees personally that you have given to these lenders. Most issuers require that guarantee on small corp debt so you may find the Ch 11 to be nothing but a stall tactic in dealing with the debts. Think it through very thoroughly before pulling that handle because once you do it may set off a chain reaction you hadn't planned on. There is no reverse on that vehicle, either.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by justasking View Post
        For example, have a corp CC, second corp CC and personal CC from one CC Bank. If we need to move to Chapter 11 for Biz in loan default, do I assume all three cards are gone now or ??
        WHiel the Co-Debtor stay would protect you (personally) while the bankruptcy is pending (active), there's no telling the implications of those banks pursuing your personally for guaranteed debt.

        I would seek counsel, but traditionally, those filing Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 on their business, where it's a closely help corporation (S-Corp, LLC, etc) and they have personal guarantees, they also file personal bankruptcy. This resolves the issues with the personal guarantees. You should also be able to do a non-consumer Chapter 7... if the numbers work out. A non-consumer Chapter 7 is a good thing because the United States Trustee pretty much has no cause to have your case dismissed, unless you committed fraud or outright lied on your petition(s).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Status: (Auto) Discharged and Closed! 5/10
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog


        I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

        Comment


        • #5
          You should also be able to do a non-consumer Chapter 7... if the numbers work out. A non-consumer Chapter 7 is a good thing because the United States Trustee pretty much has no cause to have your case dismissed, unless you committed fraud or outright lied on your petition(s).
          We are seeking counsel as well. It is just no one really talks about how to strategically plan for your survival online, so I thought I'd ask.

          I will ask Attorney as well, but what is a non-consumer Chapter 7?

          Right now, we appear to be being told we can do a business Chapter 11 without doing a personal Chapter 13 (7 not really an option as we want to keep our homestead ... both house and business are located on it).

          We will be very clear if this is true or not before we do anything. Also still waiting to hear if bank will be willing to negotiate. Right now, they have a better chance of getting more $$ from us if we stay out of Chapter 11, IMHO.

          Anything else I should be strategically thinking about?

          Thanks for all replies. This is appreciated.

          Updated >> Yes, it appears that since most of our debt would be non-consumer debt, we could do a Chapter 7 ... but we don't want to, we want to do a business chapter 11.

          Is this not an option because it is an S Corp?
          Last edited by justasking; 03-15-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated info

          Comment


          • #6
            The biz 11 will not prevent them from moving on you personally.

            What you should try and do is research a "pre-planned 11"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jimbo367 View Post
              The biz 11 will not prevent them from moving on you personally.

              What you should try and do is research a "pre-planned 11"
              Yes, thank you. I've been doing that right now

              What I see / understand so far is that Chapter 11 is a reorganization opportunity ... so the question is whether we are in a position to close / negotiate with CC Co's in addition to bank and be aware of all consequences (Biz and Personal) if we move business into Chapter 11.

              I find it interesting that the big, big companies can do Chapter 11 and emerge but the small biz guy has to worry about it all falling apart if he does it. Anyway ...

              Since we are not there yet, it is just research / understanding options / determining best way to move forward.

              Thanks for all thoughts / resources, etc. This has been helpful.

              Comment


              • #8
                Remember, the problem with the Business Chapter 11, against the "entities" that are the business entities, is that your personal guarantees could be used to collect anything that the Chapter 11 doesn't pay.

                For example, you propose a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization for your ABC Widgets LLC, that would pay $20K of a $100K unsecured line of credit. However, you personally guaranteed the line. After the Plan is confirmed (if it even does get confirmed because they are one of your larger creditors), they could Motion for Relief from the Co-Debtor Stay and proceed directly against you, personally.

                This example is specifically why many "closely held" corporations that go into bankruptcy, whether it is Chapter 7, 9, 11, or 12... force their shareholders that have given personal guarantees, into bankruptcy themselves. It's just the way it works. You basically said that if the business should fail, I'll pay. You may just be called out on that guarantee.

                Now, on the other hand, the creditor may be happy to get $20K of $100K and think that's the best they'll get, because if they pursue you, you'll just file Chapter 7 and be done.

                As for what non-consumer Chapter 7 is, it just means that your primary debt is not "family or personal" debt. A non-consumer Chapter 7 also means that you escape the fury of the U.S. Trustee. Some say that non-consumer Chapter 7s allow business owners to "abuse" the system, but they are not abusing it. Congress chose that it works that way.

                Originally posted by justasking
                I find it interesting that the big, big companies can do Chapter 11 and emerge but the small biz guy has to worry about it all falling apart if he does it. Anyway ...
                The big companies do "pre-packaged" Chapter 11s. They usually "emerge" from Chapter 11 in several months... not years like a small business, consumer or single-asset Chapter 11 case.

                In a pre-packaged Chapter 11, the debtor (corporation) has already obtained new financing to restructure the debt! They can do this because they usually have a lot of assets!
                Last edited by justbroke; 03-15-2010, 04:33 PM.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Status: (Auto) Discharged and Closed! 5/10
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog


                I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  Remember, the problem with the Business Chapter 11, against the "entities" that are the business entities, is that your personal guarantees could be used to collect anything that the Chapter 11 doesn't pay.
                  Yep, we get all that ... and your further info is all what I understand as well.

                  Our hope is that our bank will realize exactly what you say ... that if they drop XX dollars from the debt and restructure the rest, they are better off then if we go into Chapter 11.

                  If we had to move into Chapter 11, we recognize it could push us all the way to a 7. I think any small biz owner better understand that, given personal guarantees and all. And since every business loan requires them, you are pretty much left with that as your only option.

                  Depending on how this year moves forward, a pre-planned 11 or re-org plan without 11 might still be an option for us. We've got a relatively small amount of biz debt that this bank decided they wanted to call so if we could get our bookings / receivables up again, we might be able to do a SBA 90% guaranty loan to buy out this bank.

                  It really all depends on how this bank wants to play it ... if they have the regulators on their backs and want out, they may just take the loss and get us off the books. If they just need to get good loans on their books, they could also just take the loss, cut a new small loan and now our books look OK again and the regulators are happy. Hard to say which way they will go ...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by justasking View Post
                    Yes, thank you. I've been doing that right now

                    What I see / understand so far is that Chapter 11 is a reorganization opportunity ... so the question is whether we are in a position to close / negotiate with CC Co's in addition to bank and be aware of all consequences (Biz and Personal) if we move business into Chapter 11.

                    I find it interesting that the big, big companies can do Chapter 11 and emerge but the small biz guy has to worry about it all falling apart if he does it. Anyway ...

                    Since we are not there yet, it is just research / understanding options / determining best way to move forward.

                    Thanks for all thoughts / resources, etc. This has been helpful.
                    No that's not what pre-planned is, pre planned is having each and every creditor line up with a settlement agreement be fore you file.

                    I assume this biz involves more than 5M is assets etc.

                    Your cost will be 30K -50K maybe more, are these lawyers telling you that?

                    I did one several years ago it took have my working time to devote to it, then I had to do a personal 11 after that.

                    Both were about 80K in fees, I could have walked and started new corp easier.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jimbo367 View Post
                      I assume this biz involves more than 5M is assets etc.
                      Nope, much smaller than that ... assets under $500k.

                      And we are aware of fees too.

                      Bank loans are less than $200k ... and it will cost the bank 3X's our cost to pay their lawyer versus ours ... so we are hoping that plays a factor too.

                      Ah, so what I wanted was a bank buy-out, which may not be possible. That would all depend on new projects closed, projections for 2010, etc.

                      The interesting part is that these loans were used in part to fund employees for a project that will start production in 2010. So the last 18 months, existing customer orders were below expectations when the loans were made. Projections for 2010 and beyond are very solid. If we could get a feel for what the bank would accept, I may be able to find another bank willing to do a new loan, given an adjusted balance sheet, etc.
                      Last edited by justasking; 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by justasking View Post
                        Nope, much smaller than that ... assets under $500k.

                        And we are aware of fees too.

                        Bank loans are less than $200k ... and it will cost the bank 3X's our cost to pay their lawyer versus ours ... so we are hoping that plays a factor too.

                        Ah, so what I wanted was a bank buy-out, which may not be possible. That would all depend on new projects closed, projections for 2010, etc.

                        The interesting part is that these loans were used in part to fund employees for a project that will start production in 2010. So the last 18 months, existing customer orders were below expectations when the loans were made. Projections for 2010 and beyond are very solid. If we could get a feel for what the bank would accept, I may be able to find another bank willing to do a new loan, given an adjusted balance sheet, etc.
                        Yes, it will cost the bank 3X your fees, but I'll bet that the bank has more than 3X the cash than you have.
                        Just curious, what amount of fee did your Atty quote you for filing the Ch 11?

                        < 200K in mtgs isn't a lot to be haggling over for very long. Pretty cut and dried animal, really. I guess my question really is, are you being realistic in the outcome that you expect? What amount of hard asset collaterol is behind the mtgs now? If the number is way beyond 200K, then maybe you aren't being realisitc at all. Plus that personal guarantee is hanging out there.

                        Many times folks want a bank to do X, Y or Z, however if they were the bank and had their skin in the game on the banks side of the table, they wouldn't play the hand quite like they wish for it to come out. (being unemotional and detatched from the problem). Why would the bank be willing to do what you want them to do??? (that is the $ 64K question). Answer that and you may be on your way to a settlement. Usually the only good reason is if the bank is scared that they will lose big time if they don't accept the settlement. Keep in mind banks aren't afraid of foreclosure, or even default, as long as there is plenty of collaterol behind the loan. GL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mensa1 View Post
                          Many times folks want a bank to do X, Y or Z, however if they were the bank and had their skin in the game on the banks side of the table, they wouldn't play the hand quite like they wish for it to come out. (being unemotional and detatched from the problem). Why would the bank be willing to do what you want them to do??? (that is the $ 64K question). Answer that and you may be on your way to a settlement. Usually the only good reason is if the bank is scared that they will lose big time if they don't accept the settlement. Keep in mind banks aren't afraid of foreclosure, or even default, as long as there is plenty of collaterol behind the loan. GL
                          But there isn't enough collateral for any bank that has told you they don't want you as their customer any more. They want out ... and collaterol goes home at night, we are a knowledge company. They bet we could finish our project and go into production without the recession. Didn't happen. So you win some, you lose some.

                          This bank was also bought out about 2 years ago and thru the rumor mill, told to clean up its books. It may be too leveraged. So we are just one of many. Also we are an communications knowledge company in the land of farmers ... they are not comfortable with us. So there is more going on here that just dollars and cents.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by justasking View Post
                            But there isn't enough collateral for any bank that has told you they don't want you as their customer any more. They want out ... and collaterol goes home at night, we are a knowledge company. They bet we could finish our project and go into production without the recession. Didn't happen. So you win some, you lose some.

                            This bank was also bought out about 2 years ago and thru the rumor mill, told to clean up its books. It may be too leveraged. So we are just one of many. Also we are an communications knowledge company in the land of farmers ... they are not comfortable with us. So there is more going on here that just dollars and cents.
                            Maybe, maybe not, but in the end it is always about the $$$. Don't kid yourself.

                            What the bank will look to is how are they secured? They are secured by more than your biz, aka Pers Guarantee. So it boils down to what "other collaterol" that they have a pledged interest in, such as your home, or other hard assets. So what are those? if you are liquidated, including personally, what does the bank stand to receive? That is ALL that it comes down to in the end.

                            The fact that the bank was sold/absorbed several years ago may be material and maybe not. They will still attempt to convert security of cash assets, in fact it is an obligation for them to do so. Shareholders... don't forget them. Bankers can get fired for doing things that make NO financial sense, so you need to look at this objectively, as an outsider and see if what you expect makes any sense. Hard to do when you are emotionally tied to the expected outcome.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mensa1 View Post
                              Maybe, maybe not, but in the end it is always about the $$$. Don't kid yourself.
                              I hear you. I realize it is all about the money. I do hear you.

                              The question is how hard do they want to work for a small amount of $$. And I am talking small. Probably under $50k. Personal guarantees are there, yes, but this bank also has a second on our homestead too, outside of the biz. BUT not the first.

                              So do they want to take it all down or no? That is the 20M question

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X