Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employees

I have a heart, but in a service industry that relies on my employess for 100% of income (and I need to pay attorneys)...when's the best time to tell staff?

Originally posted by justbeach03 View Post
    I have a heart, but in a service industry that relies on my employess for 100% of income (and I need to pay attorneys)...when's the best time to tell staff?
    If you have to not pay people, then tell them right after the last paycheck you can muster up and let them go get unemployment.

That's what we've paid the taxes for anyways ...

My 2 cents...

Comment

What are you going to tell them? That you're filing bk or that you're closing the doors?

We told our employees that we were filing about a week before it happened. That was also the day that they got their paycheck, commission, and bonus check.

They were happy campers. They still had a job.

If you're closing the doors, tell them in a group meeting as you're paying them for all of the work that they have done for you.

Don't stiff the hired help!
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        What are you going to tell them? That you're filing bk or that you're closing the doors?

We told our employees that we were filing about a week before it happened. That was also the day that they got their paycheck, commission, and bonus check.

They were happy campers. They still had a job.

If you're closing the doors, tell them in a group meeting as you're paying them for all of the work that they have done for you.

No way! I would NEVER "stiff" my girls. I am closing the doors due to the economy, and an internal theft of $40k while I was pregnant. They're going to be unemployed-but they have skills to fall back on. I'm just loosing everything! So, now that you know the doors are closing...when's a good time? Can I give them bonus checks without any problems? They'd LOVE that and it would make me feel better!

Comment

What kind of service jobs?

I am in the service business as well
          "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
          Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
          341 Hearing March 4th 2010
          Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Overmylimit,

just noticed your discharge was just yesterday ... wanted to say congrats

Comment

overmylimit-
              Spa/Salon Biz

Comment

Originally posted by justasking View Post
                Overmylimit,

just noticed your discharge was just yesterday ... wanted to say congrats

Thanks!!
                Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post

This is 100% correct, reason being you might get rolling again and need them back. I have hired back many people that I thought I never would need again...Just keep them in the loop without telling them your life story, they will appreciate it and be thankful for a job either now or later..
                  Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

do you think i can get away with giving them a severance bonus in their last paycheck...to help them get by a little easier too.

Comment

Originally posted by justbeach03 View Post
                      do you think i can get away with giving them a severance bonus in their last paycheck...to help them get by a little easier too.
                      Yes, if you can swing it and feel it is justified, please do. You'll want the amount to be big enough to carry them as far as you can, i.e. a paycheck's worth so they can last until it runs out to apply for unemployment.

Or at least make it easy for them to understand *when* they can apply for unemployment ... unemployment benefits typically begin once your severance funds have been depleted. So depending on your dollar amount and state in question, it would vary ...

HTHs.

Comment

Well, the cat is outta the bag. I gave them a week and they all took it is good as could be expected. It's a weight off my shoulders. Now I just have to liquidate everything...."first in time, first in line"...right?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X