Amex merchant account (post discharge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amex merchant account (post discharge)

I had a Ch. 7 discharge one year ago. Amex was a large creditor and they obtained a judgement about the same time I filed.

At the time, I had an Amex merchant account. A few weeks after filing, I received letters from the Amex Merchant Services stating they were going to close my merchant account.

Recently, I've been receiving statements for my Amex Merchant Services asking that I add a new bank account to cover a small monthly merchant fee. I called and they did not mention the BK and said my merchant account was open in good standing.

Is there anything to worry about now that my discharge is final? I'd like to keep taking Amex, but don't want to step into a trap.

Hi bkquestion, welcome to the forum. We need a little more information. Was the large AMEX account that was discharged, assuming it was, a personal account? Was, or is, this AMEX Merchant account connected to it in any way. What about the judgment? Has it been vacated?
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks AngelinaCat. To address your questions, my BK was for a sole proprietorship: all accounts were personal credit cards, including the Amex, and were fully discharged. The merchant account was completely separate and in good standing at the time of filing. The Amex judgement still shows on the local Superior Court website, but was nullified in the discharge. I appreciate your help!

Comment

Hi AngelinaCat : an addendum to my original situation summary and response below. Amex (credit card) obtained an default judgement against me, but their judgement was entered 3 hours AFTER my time-stamped BKK papers with the BK court. So, the default judgement was technically entered AFTER the BKK stay commenced. No further attempts to collect as far as I know. I have not filed a motion to vacate the judgement. Even if Amex can't collect due to discharge I'd like to minimize any credit report damage and/or remove the case entirely from my public record (if that's possible). Thanks, again!
        Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        Hi bkquestion, welcome to the forum. We need a little more information. Was the large AMEX account that was discharged, assuming it was, a personal account? Was, or is, this AMEX Merchant account connected to it in any way. What about the judgment? Has it been vacated?

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I posted this question last month. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X