Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing BK, unemployed

Hello Forum,
    I live in NJ, filing for BK soon, I own a home, unemployed, around $70K in unsecured debt and cc. Own home with boyfriend of 8 years. My initial consultation with a BK lawyer said I need to find a job to be able to file for BK. I haven't found one since bec of the current issues ( I was a mortgage auditor) I have thought of babysitting and will that qualify as income? I intend to babysit around 4 infants?

I am assuming the house you own with your boyfriend is the reason why the attorney stated you needed a job. You don't post that much information but since you have an asset that is held jointly with someone else, I would suggest consulting with another BK attorney (maybe 2 or 3) to get some opinions on your situation. Yes, babysitting is a job as you would be self-employed. You would need to be licensed by your state so you would need to look into that. The joint house with your boyfriend is an issue and could pose a problem for him. Get some good legal advice.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks for your reply Flamingo

Right now the mortgage in my credit $240k 1st mtg and $39k 2nd mtg, I would assume my house is valued at $325K based on my homeowners insurance. My bf is on the deed. I am finding ways to get through this and your response is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Homeowner's ins value is not market value.

Go to zillow.com and get your market value.

Market value is what an able, willing and qualified buyer is going to pay for a house and is the only true value of a house, or anything else of value for that matter.

Comment

great website thanks for the info

That was an awesome website and the zestimate to my home is $305,000. Is it better for me to try to sell my home first before filing bk? The mortgages are in my credit which is $280 k, I owe 70k in unsecured and the house is owned by me and my BF. I am still current on my mortgages. Any response is appreciated.

Comment

Zillow is great because it keeps up with recently sold properties.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X