top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you will lose your job because of the economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost my FT job two years ago because of 'budget cuts' and am now about to lose the little PT job I have for the same reason. Unemployment is running out, and being at the age where a prospective employer wants to hire someone without the degree and experience I have, so they can pay a lower salary and not worry that the person may want to retire in 5-10 years, leaves me with very little opportunities to go to.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I lost my job right at the beginning of this. The company tried to find ways to save money. It ended up firing 51 workers in the first bout-- One who was on her hospital bed after a heart attack (the company is self- insured, so if you get sick with something chronic you usually get fired). How has it effected me? Every day I pray that the company goes broke and shuts its doors permanently.

I was starting to pull mysef out of the hole, and thought I could save the house-- took out a lot of savings and used that to save the house-- then got fired. Unfortunately, I had used the emergency money on the house, so before long I was nearly homeless and also going to food lines for food all winter long. Unemployment was less than half of what I made at the job, and that was not really that helpful. -- I mean, I still lost everything. My unemployment ran out, but I found a part time job that might work into a full time job. It's not bad so I am not complaining. Unlike my old job, there are bonuses and other ways to make additional money. I may make the same as I made at 40 hours in the old job at 30 hours in the new job.

Comment

I work as an independent contractor for different companies but:

For a few months I was making nearly $1,400 - $1,600 a month (After years of making only $1,000 a month if even that). But when the economy went down all my new work went with it and brought me back to where I was before.

Now my income is dropping still because of the economy. If it weren't for the economy I probably would be back to $2k+ a month ... something which hasn't happened since early 2002 for me.

I'll always make something from my previous work (probably for the next 5 years anyway) but the amount goes down.
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I met with my bk lawyer and hired him on a Friday and went to work on Monday and got laid off. What timing, eh? Yeah, so, that was the beginning of June. I worked in a factory making computers for Toyota, roller coasters, space shuttle, Kraft Foods, pretty much any company that needs factory style computers. I worked my normal 40hrs a week and then another 40hrs of OVERTIME a week (sometimes only 20,but usually an additional 40) just to pay my bills.

So, when I went on short term disability last year, I was missing that extra 80 hours of overtime in my checks for 5 months. Then I went back to work in September and they had already cancelled everyone's overtime and had even cut work hours to 30 or less a week. So, from September to June I wasn't making ends meet at all.

I stopped paying most of my cards in December, all of them by February and missed my first house payment and second mortgage payment in May. I came to the realization that I just couldn't do it anymore and filed this past June.

341 is September 21, this coming Monday at 9:30a.m and I am getting very nervous! I emailed my lawyer today asking if there was anything I was responsible for bringing besides my id and SS# and he said no. Just go over my petition and know what I put on there. I had mentioned to him I was nervous and hate speaking in public and he told me he'd be there with me the whole time. He even sent a list of questions from the Trustee that they ask. I tried to post it earlier today because I thought it might be helpful for others to see it, but the PDF file is a bit too big for this forum.

Just hope it all goes well and everything goes smoothly. I am surrendering my house so I really hope that goes QUICK! I am moving out of state in a few weeks, so I want them to go ahead and take it, but I fear it will be quite some time since there are so many foreclosures happening in my area.

Good luck to everyone out there! Hope all of you who still have your jobs will not have any issues and those of you who lost them, like I have, best of luck in finding another one and hopefully one you enjoy and can retire with.
          Filed Ch 7 July 23, 2009
          341 over September 21, 2009
          Discharged November 23, 2009 (received papers November 27, 2009)

Comment

Yup I just lost my job this week. Was on and off unemployment for the last 2 years. Also was a independent contractor at one point. Some say we are in a recession, I say we are more in a depression than the government leads us to believe.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Work for the state (CHP)...and unless the "Governator" REALLY screws up, I should be OK....of course, thanks to the BK and the divorce and the foreclosure, I'm still kinda broke, but getting better all the time..God, I wish child support was tax deductible....

Comment

lose what?

sorry but this poll title does not read well at the home page...does not include the "job" word.

Ali

Comment

Losing job beacuse of the economy!

I do not think that there will be wide loses in job due to the economy. Infact, if there is a loss in some case, then if the person that has lost the job is quite good enough, he has always chances of getting another opportunity as per his experience and qualification. One can also start a business if they have complete knowledge about it.

Comment

Originally posted by allavdj View Post
                    My wife and I have a home daycare. People gonna keep having kids, people have to/like to go back to work, gotta stick em somewhere! We tweaked our rates a little to adjust for the slagging economy, but no shortage of business around here.
                    A buddy of mine own's a day care business and makes $20k per month
                    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

My employer put me down to 25 hours per week many months ago. I'm the last non-owner employee now, with redundancy forecast for mid-February. They're just running out of income and having too hard a time finding new customers. Once I'm redundant, I was the last with health insurance, so the already-redundant employees then lose COBRA.

I've been sending my resume around for a couple of weeks now. This morning I have a phone interview with a business in Manhattan. I'm not sure I'd exactly look forward to commuting there over the week from the Boston area, though. My family are happily settled where they are and my son's already been in four different schools in four years, poor kid, so I don't want to make them move too.

Comment

I feel its actually happening in the market. Everyone is scared of these circumstances. yeah people are now more focusing on running their own business to deal with this uncertain environment.

Comment

lose your what?
                          Tried debt settlmnt, stopped paying all cards 5/09/--filed bk no asset ch7 in 11/2010---DISCHARGED 2/2011!!! Still waiting to see how much more Bank of America and Fannie Mae can ruin us

Comment

COBRA -- continuing health insurance under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act. The redundant employees only get to keep their health insurance running if there are still active employees in the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by mtbc View Post
                              COBRA -- continuing health insurance under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act. The redundant employees only get to keep their health insurance running if there are still active employees in the plan.
                              The rates for COBRA are insane. A healthy young adult = $350 a month with a $5000 deductible... NICE!
                              Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Last year I actually said I didn't think I could lose my job. Wrong. I didn't technically lose it, but close enough. I am subcontracted and was working about 22 hours a week for a city. They opened the bid for the year and we were seriously underbid, like 5th lowest. I didn't realize they did this, I had only been doing this for 14 months and really thought doing a great job was going to mean something.

After the first of the year I was moved to work on a new contract, now only about 17 hours a week. That's a big difference at my pay rate. Thank God my husband works full time, but still, it sucks.
                                attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                                no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                                341, 05/10/2010
                                discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X