top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Year Unemployment Extension + 2 Year Tax Cuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Year Unemployment Extension + 2 Year Tax Cuts?

It looks like we may be close to a compromise with the democrats & republicans. I was bouncing this idea on a thread probably a month ago (with slightly different time amounts): I know this will cost the economy more money, but it's looking like the only way we can get our fricken legislative process moving again. I can only imagine a 2 year stalemate between both houses

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An outline of a bipartisan economic package is emerging that would temporarily extend the Bush-era tax rates for all taxpayers, while extending jobless benefits for millions of Americans.

Differences remained over details, including White House demands for middle- and low-income tax credits. But the White House expressed optimism Monday, raising the possibility of a deal in Congress by the end of the week.

"They are making progress," said White House spokesman Bill Burton. "The president is confident that within the next couple of days or so we'll find a way to extend tax cuts to middle class families and do some other things that the president thinks are important, helping to grow the economy and create jobs."

Questions remained about how many concessions Obama could extract from Republicans in exchange for extending current tax rates for high earners, a proposal he opposed.

But without action, lawmakers face the prospect of delivering a tax hike to all taxpayers at the end of the year, when the current rates expire and revert to higher pre-2001 and 2003 levels.

Negotiations between the Obama administration and a bipartisan group of lawmakers centered on a two-year extension of current rates.

At the same time, a jump in the unemployment rate to 9.8 percent is putting pressure on Republicans to accede to President Barack Obama's demand that Congress extend unemployment insurance for a year. GOP congressional leaders had opposed an extension of benefits without cuts elsewhere in the federal budget.

"I think most folks believe the recipe would include at least an extension of unemployment benefits for those who are unemployed and an extension of all of the tax rates for all Americans for some period of time," said Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, the Senate's Republican negotiator in the talks.

Obama was expected to call for an agreement during a speech Monday in Winston-Salem, N.C. Central to the deal, White House officials and Democrats said, is an extension of unemployment benefits.

"Without unemployment benefits being extended, personally, this is a nonstarter," said Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the second-ranking member of the Senate Democratic leadership.

Republicans have insisted that any extension of jobless aid be paid for with cuts elsewhere in the federal budget. The White House opposes that, saying such cuts are economically damaging during a weak recovery.

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said Republicans would probably cede that point to the Democrats.

"Let's take care of the unemployment compensation even if it isn't ... backed up by real finances," Hatch said. "We've got to do it. So let's do it. But that ought to be it."

About 2 million unemployed workers will run out of benefits this month if they are not renewed, and the administration estimates 7 million will be affected if the payments are not extended for a year.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell on Sunday said discussions are still under way on a variety of unresolved issues.

The White House wants to include renewal of several other tax provisions that are expiring. These were initially included in the 2009 economic stimulus bill and include a tax credit for lower- and middle-class wage earners, even if they don't make enough to pay federal income taxes, breaks to offset college tuition and breaks for companies that hire the unemployed.

Any deal would require the approval of the House and Senate, and the president's signature. Obama told Democratic congressional leaders Saturday that he would oppose any extension of tax rates that did not include jobless benefits and other assistance his administration was seeking.

The short-term tax and spending debate is unfolding even as Congress and the Obama administration confront growing anxieties over the federal government's growing deficits.

A presidential commission studying the deficit identified austere measures last week to cut $4 trillion from the federal budget over the next decade.

The movement toward a possible compromise came after Republicans blocked Democratic efforts in the Senate Saturday to extend the current tax rates on all but the highest income levels. Republicans prefer extending all the tax rates permanently, but that cannot win legislative approval either. Even if it did, Obama would be sure to veto.

As part of a compromise, the Obama administration prefers a two-year extension of the tax rates. Officials say a one-year extension would place Congress and the president in the midst of a similar debate in a mere six months. A three-year extension, officials say, would cost too much and lose support from liberals.

For Obama, the deal would mean relinquishing, at least for now, his long-held view that only middle-class voters should continue to benefit from Bush-era tax cuts. And Democrats, while resigned to a deal, were not eager to embrace one.

Durbin and Kyl spoke Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation," while Hatch appeared on CNN's "State of the Union" and McConnell on NBC's "Meet the Press."

i am glad they are extending the UB cause theres lots of people out there that can't find a job
    but every person receiving unemployment benefits should have to prove that they are ACTIVILY out there looking for a job before they get their checks every month
    why?cause i am almost sure theres lots of fraud,people are not looking for a job ,they prefer to just sit home and sleep all day and collect unemployment.
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

whopppppeee...just heard it passed!!!!!!! YES!!

8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

In my state, hubby has to fill out info as to name and address or company website data of company's he applied to along with dates. Since March of 2010 he has applied to 587 positions and nada

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
        i am glad they are extending the UB cause theres lots of people out there that can't find a job
        but every person receiving unemployment benefits should have to prove that they are ACTIVILY out there looking for a job before they get their checks every month
        why?cause i am almost sure theres lots of fraud,people are not looking for a job ,they prefer to just sit home and sleep all day and collect unemployment.
        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

scorpion, I am totally ok with this, as I see that box that says if it is checked, you have to prove you are looking for a job. I belong to a ton of job boards, apply at various companies, even go on caljobs with EDD. I'm not sure they have enough personnel to check in on everyone, but if they decide to do random audits, that is cool with me as well.

I know there will always be those that fraud the system, but to me this is much different than welfare. People on unemployment have actually worked and they are getting what, a 1/4 of their income on unemployment? I'm sure most people do not want to live in pure poverty at this level, but would rather work and have the necessities of life that most people take for granted.

I have applied for jobs against 200-300 people (one of the jobs I won out on, they showed me the resumes and it was 200 and something people I had to go up against). In that case I won out, but many cases, I may have been #2, #3, #20. So the game starts all over again with the next company that chooses to interview me (this may repeat many times before I get the #1 spot). That is of course after the hundred companies you have to send your resume to before one of them actually requests more info or a job interview.

If we applied to one company that had dozens of jobs and scored #2 or #3 on the first one, then great, we would automatically be #1 or #2 in the next one, but the process starts all over for each job. You have to compete against hundreds of people each and every time. This is really bad odds.

Comment

That is the problem in a nutshell. My hubby interviewed with GE and the first thing they did was congratulate him that he was chosen to interview over the 1200 resumes that came in for that one position. The interviewed him 4 times and then the position got pulled for budget reasons and now he has applied again and we start the process all over again.

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
            scorpion, I am totally ok with this, as I see that box that says if it is checked, you have to prove you are looking for a job. I belong to a ton of job boards, apply at various companies, even go on caljobs with EDD. I'm not sure they have enough personnel to check in on everyone, but if they decide to do random audits, that is cool with me as well.

I know there will always be those that fraud the system, but to me this is much different than welfare. People on unemployment have actually worked and they are getting what, a 1/4 of their income on unemployment? I'm sure most people do not want to live in pure poverty at this level, but would rather work and have the necessities of life that most people take for granted.

I have applied for jobs against 200-300 people (one of the jobs I won out on, they showed me the resumes and it was 200 and something people I had to go up against). In that case I won out, but many cases, I may have been #2, #3, #20. So the game starts all over again with the next company that chooses to interview me (this may repeat many times before I get the #1 spot). That is of course after the hundred companies you have to send your resume to before one of them actually requests more info or a job interview.

If we applied to one company that had dozens of jobs and scored #2 or #3 on the first one, then great, we would automatically be #1 or #2 in the next one, but the process starts all over for each job. You have to compete against hundreds of people each and every time. This is really bad odds.
            Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

This may be age discrimination, but I think the ones who are close to retirement age should be scrutinized more closely. I still remember when my ex-mother in law was laid off years ago from work, in fact when we went over for a visit she told everyone she was now retired. She had no intention of going back to work. But she kept on receiving UB and going to the classes that were offered to help her integrate back into the workforce and applying for jobs that she knew she wouldn't get.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                I can only imagine a 2 year stalemate between both houses
                That's the stuff that dreams are made of..........
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                  This may be age discrimination, but I think the ones who are close to retirement age should be scrutinized more closely. I still remember when my ex-mother in law was laid off years ago from work, in fact when we went over for a visit she told everyone she was now retired. She had no intention of going back to work. But she kept on receiving UB and going to the classes that were offered to help her integrate back into the workforce and applying for jobs that she knew she wouldn't get.
                  helpme...for some of us...your ex mother in laws age....we just simply can't be taught much more...shoot...i have an under grad degree from uc berkeley...2 masters and a national paralegal cert from boston u.... what are they going to give me classes on...LOL!!! now, don't get me wrong, i learn something every day...however, i'm not the best with doing laundry...so maybe i could use a class on that...(JUST KIDDING..NOT!)

my point is....some of us with education and so much life experience are having difficulties...as i had mentioned in another thread...one law firm actually said i was too old...they were ALL in their late 20's and early 30's and although i think i look pretty darn good and wear thigh high boots...(NO!!! LOL)...but i am objective and most people can't guess my age...this firm ASKED me....and then said i was TOO old.....

someone told me to lie about my age......NO...i will NOT lie about anything....lies are hard to remember the truth never is.

as i say....i'm learning everyday....i can rip a computer apart, stick some more ram in it....even....it's just no one wants us.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                    helpme...for some of us...your ex mother in laws age....we just simply can't be taught much more...shoot...i have an under grad degree from uc berkeley...2 masters and a national paralegal cert from boston u.... what are they going to give me classes on...LOL!!! now, don't get me wrong, i learn something every day...however, i'm not the best with doing laundry...so maybe i could use a class on that...(JUST KIDDING..NOT!)

my point is....some of us with education and so much life experience are having difficulties...as i had mentioned in another thread...one law firm actually said i was too old...they were ALL in their late 20's and early 30's and although i think i look pretty darn good and wear thigh high boots...(NO!!! LOL)...but i am objective and most people can't guess my age...this firm ASKED me....and then said i was TOO old.....

someone told me to lie about my age......NO...i will NOT lie about anything....lies are hard to remember the truth never is.

as i say....i'm learning everyday....i can rip a computer apart, stick some more ram in it....even....it's just no one wants us.
                    tobee, this brings me back to my sarcastic burger university idea again. I love the people that tell the unemployed, "oh you simply go train in a new field". Ok, so each time this happens, I simply go out and shell out $20,000 to $40,000 for another degree, a career training company, or whatever it is, then try to convince the new industry that I am qualified above the ones that are already senior in those industries with WORK EXPERIENCE in those industries, then pay for all this, and pay the bills.

I go back to eventually we are just going to be competing against robots and people will make the comment, "hey the robots work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no breaks, no complaints, we insert a new industry chip in them to make them ready for a new industry, no medical insurance...NOW COMPETE AGAINST THAT ROBOT!!!"

Comment

I really liked President Obama's speech today about this compromise. I felt he really provided solid answers to why he compromised and the logic behind it. Obama, Clinton, and Reagan in my opinion are excellent speakers (I wish I could give speeches this good).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X