No announcement yet.

Job Search Venting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I've been doing, I have 6 different resumes right now and depending on how crappy the job I apply to, I dumb down accordingly. ALSO, now this shouldn't make a difference BUT, after applying and applying and hearing absolutely no response whatsoever at any responsibility level, I tried a new trick. Being an engineer and used to working in manufacturing environments, I'm looking for more "men-oriented" jobs. I changed my name on my resume to only include my first initial, instead of my obviously woman first name. I hate to say it, but it worked. Shortly after applying to several retail places like Advance Auto Parts, I actually got a call for an interview. And, yes, the guy on the phone sounded very surprised that I was a woman. We will see if I actually get the job or not and maybe it was a fluke but I really don't think so.

Comment

There was a story on the news about a janitor's job here in town that got over 400 applications! Many companies are looking through the applications that come in during the first 24-48 hours of a posting and throwing the rest away without even looking for them. You have to get up really early and jump on these jobs!
      Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Sick isn't it? Remember when those of us who had any experience and some type of personality had our pick of jobs? Yes, in our early 20's it was tough, but as we grew more knowledgable, they ate us up.

What happened?

Outsourcing is my guess for a lot of it. When something happens with my internet service I'm connected to someone in India.

I don't know how we can fight this. But it's not just us anymore - it's our kids & our grandkids who will have nothing. And yet, the foreign countries are doing just fine with US dollars. Sad.
        Last edited by discouraged; 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
          Sick isn't it? Remember when those of us who had any experience and some type of personality had our pick of jobs? Yes, in our early 20's it was tough, but as we grew more knowledgable, they ate us up.

What happened?

Outsourcing is my guess for a lot of it. When something happens with my internet service I'm connected to someone in India.

I don't know how we can fight this. But it's not just us anymore - it's our kids & our grandkids who will have nothing. And yet, the foreign countries are doing just fine with US dollars. Sad.
          I was thinking the same thing. Something went wrong with the system and outsourcing is probably one of many bad things that happened. I see a generation of spoiled children that have it all, but I believe that will soon change for many of them, leaving them with an environment even more difficult than what we are facing.

I am just blown away that I have a tremendous amount of experience, skills, education, the works, and I can't even find a job or one that will even pay what I made 10 years ago.

Comment

I have a feeeling that it's going to have to be us ordinary US citizens to fight this somehow. I totally missed the 70's revolution because I had a child when I was 17 (40 years ago) and did not get involved as so many folks did. Still sorry I wasn't one of those that spoke out. I wouldn't know how to orgaize a letter, much less a campaign.

We are at the point again though, where our voices have to be heard. This is ridiculous. I just got off a temp job where they were thrilled at my knowledge and expertise - all of which I was paid $12 an hour for. I probably streamlined their dept by at least 10hrs or so a week.

I no longer know what to say. I do not have an idea how to fight back. It sickens me when I hear of our government officials taking atrocious vacations or going to countries, spending our tax dollars, and they can't bother with the fact that so many of us just need to work. And not just work; we should be paid for our knowledge and the many years of service we have given to our country, alabeit many of us are not servicemen, but through our work we have still served.

Comment

Honestly, most politicians and people do not care, unless or until it happens to them. I say this about politicians and how they run the military. Unless that politician has served in the military or unless their son is in the military, then it doesn't affect them.

The democrats have really fought for unemployment benefit extensions and other helpful items for the unemployed, but have often had to back down in order to compromise with the republicans so something can get done. It's basically we will give up some of what we want for some of what you want and ultimately the country ends up being more in debt and worse off for it. But something is better than nothing.

I am just blown away when everyone knows the problems, including outsourcing, everyone sees the patterns of high unemployment and the United States being a country that no longer manufactures most items and isn't keeping up with technology and alternative energy compared with other countries, yet they just sit there arguing with each other and looking out for their own lucrative careers and we all suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                people do not care, unless or until it happens to them.
                That's the root cause of the problem at hand, or at least one of the causes. One could take this quite far - analyzing the non-entity that the family (in the traditional sense) has become in this country, and take it from there...

We haven't gotten in this mess overnight, and it will take decades to get out of it...

As for the politicians, vast majority of them on all levels, regardless of party affiliation, have been "bought and paid for"...and believe that maintaining the status quo - as deadly as it may be in the long run - is in their best interest...
                No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Another thing that kills me is the way they keep extending the SS age. If I can't find a job now, at 57, how am I going to find one that lasts until I'm 70 or 72?

We should probably be advocating for SS age to be lowered. What are they going to do with a bunch of 50-62 year old people who can't find jobs? How are we supposed to survive until we can apply for SS?

Comment

I have to reach age 70 to collect full unemployment benefits, simply amazing

Another thing that kills me is the way they keep extending the SS age. If I can't find a job now, at 57, how am I going to find one that lasts until I'm 70 or 72?

We should probably be advocating for SS age to be lowered. What are they going to do with a bunch of 50-62 year old people who can't find jobs? How are we supposed to survive until we can apply for SS?
                    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

As I mentioned previously I share everyone's pain in this area. The main problem is the continuing globalization of the economy and the resultant lessening of needs for American workers. Accountants,programmers,engineers,call center personnel and now even attorneys are being outsourced. Companies are now making huge profits with a majority of their revenues and income coming from overseas. Add to that that there are tax advantages to overseas earnings and tax laws(loopholes) that allow companies to bring the cash from these lower taxed earnings back into the US at with no tax effect. Plus we have too many things in this country-other than jobs what do we need more of? Houses? Nope. Stores? Nope. Cars? Nope. Infrastructure?-yes but who pays for that? Republicans won't raise taxes and neither party wants to quit government spending. Not to be a total downer but I don't foresee this jobs thing getting better any time soon. And wait till governments at the state and local level start laying people off-more people looking for fewer jobs.
                      I am "lucky enough" to be old enough to collect reduced SS benefits and am angling for a part time job using the "retired" bored out of my mind approach. We'll see how that works.
                      Best advice I've read is to try and get into a company via a personal reference/referral.
                      Here's hoping that next week is a good one for at least one person on this board.

Comment

Fallenward - I don't get your comment. Unemployment isn't a 'forever' situation. I'm not even sure I will qualify (will chck on that this next wee and hopefully still qualify). But, haven't you read any of the posts about the 99'ers? There comes a point when you are no longer eligible for unemployment. I might still be eligible because I did work, but only for 3 1/2 months. Prior to that it was a 6 month temp position in 2009, which helped me tremendously but the point of fact is, this is not a stable 'income'.

When it runs out, which it may already have for me, won't know until I re-apply on Monday, and if I do not find a job, I am just stuck.

So your point is???

Comment

sorry about that, meant to say I have to reach age 70 to collect my full SS benefits. Hubby can collect full SS benefits at age 68 1/2

Comment

Oh - Sorry Fallwenward. Thought you might have been one of the jokesters that sometimes appear here. But, yes, it is going to have to be younger folks that start fighting for rights. When I was in my 30's, 62 or 65 seemed so far away and I certainly wasn't worried about retirement at that time.

Now, at 57 I guess I should be grateful that I can retire at 62, but if I don't find a job between now and then, there really will be nothing to retire from - although I do know they will take my top 5 years earnings to base SS on. But for those going forward, yes, they are trying to push the date further and further up. I think they would like to see us work until 75.

Unfortunately, if I can't find a job at 57 I have no clue how I'm going to find one to work at until I reach 75.

Comment

daylate - you ARE lucky, as is anyone who is now 62 or older. Gads, what a horrible situation those of us just a bit younger and unemployed are in right now!

Comment

My son told me when he was at the SS office to get a replacement card, he meet with one of the reps to see how old he would have to be to collect his SS benefits. He told me he will have to be 75 to get half benefits and 78 1/2 to get full benefits. that is depressing

Oh - Sorry Fallwenward. Thought you might have been one of the jokesters that sometimes appear here. But, yes, it is going to have to be younger folks that start fighting for rights. When I was in my 30's, 62 or 65 seemed so far away and I certainly wasn't worried about retirement at that time.

Now, at 57 I guess I should be grateful that I can retire at 62, but if I don't find a job between now and then, there really will be nothing to retire from - although I do know they will take my top 5 years earnings to base SS on. But for those going forward, yes, they are trying to push the date further and further up. I think they would like to see us work until 75.

Unfortunately, if I can't find a job at 57 I have no clue how I'm going to find one to work at until I reach 75.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X