Disabled & Unemployed & BK7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled & Unemployed & BK7

Has anyone else had a bankruptcy discharged and is unemployed and disabled? I'd like to try to go back to work soon but I'm worried about having been on disability and the bankruptcy.

one of my husbands best friends from his old service days was disabled and on unemployment and did file chapter 7 ...it was discharged, but thus far he has been unable to find another job.. (he had to have 2 hips replaced).

best of luck to you!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

tobee43,

Thank you for your input/response.

Mike

Comment

When you're restored to the point that you can look for work again, mike, I think people will absolutely understand and support you - even judgmental types who dislike bankrupt types - because your problem was not within the realm of your own control. When the time comes, I think you're going to come across just fine in interviews. What's not to like?
        There are two secrets for success in life:
        1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
          When you're restored to the point that you can look for work again, mike, I think people will absolutely understand and support you - even judgmental types who dislike bankrupt types - because your problem was not within the realm of your own control. When the time comes, I think you're going to come across just fine in interviews. What's not to like?
          that's really sweet, and i agree mike...really, people are more understand nowadays especially....you should do fine.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Hi Mike,

I'm in the same boat and am absolutely not concerned about finding a job when the time (hopefully) comes along. I think it's because I spent a lot of time interviewing people when I was working and know that every situation can be explained in a positive light. Interviewers don't really care what the problem was. They want to hear how you made the best of the situation.

In a situation like ours, something like this could work:

"My previous role/position was very stressful. I loved what I did but had to come to a very hard realization that after years of doing it, there were factors that really took a toll on me. I wasn't maintaining the balance needed to enjoy the challenges of the job while also taking care of myself. It was a hard decision to step away from that role. But once I did, I was able to find balance and learned to stop to smell the roses. Now I know what that balance needs to look like and have the skills and awareness to make sure I stay in it. I'm glad I took the time off - focusing on my own well-being was a skill I needed to learn. Now I'm recharged, ready to go, and looking forward to being part of the XYZ project (or whatever the case may be)."

As far as the BK goes, it's also easy to explain. If you have to put it out there, just explain it in a way that shows you made a difficult decision to achieve the best business outcome. The circumstances were outside your control but you took actions to bring the situation back into control. Be honest and firm in your conviction that you did the right thing. The interviewer will pick up on your confidence and it will work in your favor.
            OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Hi Peeps,

I really appreciate your positive spin on my situation, especially since we're in the same boat.
              You have given me an encouraging way of looking at my future.

Mike

Comment

You'll be ok - I have confidence in you!! Just look at what you've accomplished - dealing with the SSA and then with a BK is no small feat. I'm not even halfway as far as you are.

Just keep in mind most interviewers are really inexperienced and don't quite know what to ask. They're probably more scared of you than you are of them!

But seriously, in the meantime just focus on you. Being on disability is hardly a way to live richly but it does at least give a person time to heal and learn to manage whatever health issues they're dealing with. Take care of you. And feel free to PM anytime.
                OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

I'm in the same boat...worked full-time my whole life, got sick, put on disability, lost job, now filing bk, and still don't have a clear enough diagnosis to know whether I'll be able to work again or not. However, I've found that most people are very understanding of our having to file bk as a result of no job/disability. When/if I am able to work again, I'm not worried about explaining my bk or disability. Sometimes life gives you lemons, and you just have to make lemonade. I think that's what we're all doing, and a large portion of America "gets it" these days...

It will all work out in time...
                  --------------------------------------------
                  As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Just a FYI for anyone else on SSDI who are thinking about going back to work, you must not work for 12 months from your disability award letter or you will have to pay back all of the SSDI payments you have received.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X